• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sea Shells - Are They Bird Safe?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Wow. I never thought about giving them shells to play with. Will have to experiment a bit with that. Thanks for sharing!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It figures that I find this out now that I no longer live any where near a beach with free toys laying all over the place!
If you were in my country I would post you some!
I only collect shells that are big, strong and unbroken or chipped. I give lots to my friend, who is principal of a primary school, for the children.

Screenshot_20190428_151824_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They are a pain to clean....

I have one toy in my shop that has shells. I've been meaning to do another but hate prepping them. I also hate drilling them as it's death by seashell on my drillpress. Lol

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I only collect shells that are big, strong and unbroken or chipped. I give lots to my friend, who is principal of a primary school, for the children.

View attachment 302604
Ah! That is so sweet of you! If I lived closer I'd go and help you find some for the kids!
hs_044_34mm_kindlephoto-96784389.jpg
I lived in Hawaii for many many years and loved collecting shells! An early morning stroll on a beach is one of my most favorite things to do. Always kept my eyes open for the rare Sunrise shells. I'd make pendants out of them and then sell them. Now I wish I'd kept more of them for myself!

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Ah! That is so sweet of you! If I lived closer I'd go and help you find some for the kids!
View attachment 302606
I lived in Hawaii for many many years and loved collecting shells! An early morning stroll on a beach is one of my most favorite things to do. Always kept my eyes open for the rare Sunrise shells. I'd make pendants out of them and then sell them. Now I wish I'd kept more of them for myself!

That shell is gorgeous!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Woah cool looking shell!
We just get nomal ones here :/

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia

View attachment 302604
You have really nice ones too! The kids must love you!

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
This gives me some great ideas for toys and perches! Maybe if I found an easy-to-clean shell with ridges, like Tricia posted above, I could figure out a way to mount it as a convenient shelf or step for my birds, like one of those Comfy Perches. :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
This gives me some great ideas for toys and perches! Maybe if I found an easy-to-clean shell with ridges, like Tricia posted above, I could figure out a way to mount it as a convenient shelf or step for my birds, like one of those Comfy Perches. :)
I don't know about using Sunrise shells for bird items. One of those the size of a quarter can be a hundred bucks or more. I think Zara has the right idea though! Please post pics of your creations! I want to make something for my crew too!