• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Scritches please?

datlamb

Sprinting down the street

Here is little Grishka getting scritches from a bell :swoon:

I took him to the vet yesterday, and he told me he's as healthy as can be!

I could tell Grishka was excited because he was preening and making himself pretty for the vet as we were getting there.
IMG_20180807_182103_HHT.jpg IMG_20180807_182058.jpg
Even after the horrors of physical check up Grishka went right back to preening! Such a sweet brave boy.

Grishka enjoys getting out of his cage and just chilling on top of it. He enjoys my presence very much even though he won't let me pet him or even give him treats!
IMG_20180805_111905.jpg
I keep on talking and singing to him, hoping he will warm up to me with time :)

I've never had a bird who won't take treats from my hand. What other ways are there to create a positive interaction between us?

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

Here is little Grishka getting scritches from a bell :swoon:

I took him to the vet yesterday, and he told me he's as healthy as can be!

I could tell Grishka was excited because he was preening and making himself pretty for the vet as we were getting there.
View attachment 283446 View attachment 283445
Even after the horrors of physical check up Grishka went right back to preening! Such a sweet brave boy.

Grishka enjoys getting out of his cage and just chilling on top of it. He enjoys my presence very much even though he won't let me pet him or even give him treats!
View attachment 283447
I keep on talking and singing to him, hoping he will warm up to me with time :)

I've never had a bird who won't take treats from my hand. What other ways are there to create a positive interaction between us?
Your doing all the right things! Patience, love and time is the key! Never force your fid to do anything ( unless of emergency) and it will happen! :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a good boy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I love it when they use toys/perches for scratches!:heart:I’m sure he will warm up to you in time. You can drop a treat in his food dish whenever you walk by, or just try sitting near his cage with a big spray of millet and see if he will fly to you. Don’t make eye contact, just sit there. Also, save millet just for training. You can also see if he will nibble off of the end of a long spray of millet while you hold it in your hands. Eventually you might be able to make the spray shorter and shorter.

datlamb

Thanks everyone! I've been a bit sick the past few days, and busy before that so I didn't have much time for Grishka. But now I am sitting next to him, telling him what a sweet boy he is and whistling to him.

I haven't tried the millet trick yet but I'll keep it in mind!

Grishka seems perfectly comfortable sitting in his cage and preening, even when the door is open.

If I come over to give him a treat he back away so I try to not overdo it, as much as I want to spoil him.

I guess he's just comfortable with me making various noises at him for now, haha.

I'll just keep focusing my physical love on Happy:swoon:
IMG_20180811_120455.jpg IMG_20180729_130635.jpg

datlamb

@Monica thank you very much!
I do know of the dangers of mirrors but I did want him to get comfortable in the new house before taking it out. Should I have done it right away?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd rather not give them a chance to have one in their cage at all. If they see one in the house, then it may depend on how they react to those on how much time they get to spend with a mirror. I don't really encourage mirror time with my birds though since many birds don't realize they are looking at themselves.