• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming while biting his leg

cringybird

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a 6 month old Caique. Ever since I got him he would suddenly start screaming and bite one of his legs (like thigh part) for a while before going back to being ok. He does it at least once a day and its on the same leg every time. Up until now I thought maybe it was normal behavior since he is still learning how to preen himself and play around but recently i noticed that a tiny part of the leg (where he bites) doesnt have many feathers anymore.
He gets his daily out of cage time and his diet is good its mostly veggies with pellets. Everything else is great, he play all the time, will fly around and just destroy his toys. He doesnt have any other parts with no feathers either. I've taken him to the vet and he said everything was healthy. I'm not sure whether I should insist on checking him over of it is truly normal for him to do this.
He's never bitten me and if he does its softly and just around my finger to "groom" me.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Charlietoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
Mine does that as a frustrated behavior

budgie 2

Sitting on the front steps
Does he have one of those metal rings with numbers around his leg?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Maybe take a video of him doing it to show your vet?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think a vet visit for some investigation sounds like the best option. Missing feathers and screaming while biting a leg does not sound anywhere near normal to me.

parrotcafe

Meeting neighbors
I would have your avian vet examine him. He may be experiencing nerve pain.

cringybird

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you everyone, I'll post a video of when he has those moments for reference when im home and let you know what the vet says for others in the future. I'm going to get a second opinion.