• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

screaming and freaking out at bedtime

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone :) I've been having a lot of fun with my yellow sided baby gcc, Leo. He is getting more socialized, playing, eating, coming out of the cage on his own, beak grinding every night :). One of my biggest concerns, though, is that he freaks out every night before bed. His cage is in my room. Every time I cover him at night, he starts screaming and freaking out. If it were just screaming I could try and ignore it but what he does scares me into uncovering the cage and making sure he's okay....Every night when he is covered he starts hanging and climbing all around the walls of his cage, screaming and furiously flapping his wings (it almost sounds like they bang against the cage walls when he does it). When he screams during this time he is screaming bloody murder. It literally sounds like he's being tortured the way he screams lol. It makes me run to his cage to make sure he is okay. The flapping wings is really what gets to me! It scares me so much and leaves me no choice but to check on him. Eventually after 2-3 rounds of this he starts to fall asleep and grinds his beak while giving out the occasional grumpy frog/duck sounds :). Is this normal? How can I make him more comfortable at night? Any advice is appreciated :)

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Sounds like he is afraid of the dark to me! Do you have to cover him up? Perhaps partially?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I was also going to ask if he must be covered at night. Is there an area of the home he can sleep without needing to be covered?

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for your replies! When I cover him up the lamp in my room is on. The cage cover is one I bought on Amazon, and there is still light in his cage through it (it's not totally opaque even though it said it was on the description, smh)...I also leave a corner of it uncovered just to make sure it's breathable and there is some fresh air coming in... could that be the problem? I have found that when I cover his cage and immediately turn off all the lights so it is completely dark he still screams and grumbles but he still freaks out but less. I get paranoid putting him to bed when I'm not around just in case he freaks out or something so I like being in the same room as him at night...I want to be there to make sure he's safe (yes, I'm paranoid and crazy lol). Would it be possible to keep him in my room without having to turn all of my lights off at like 9 PM? :D :)

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Huginn, my ygcc, was terrified of the dark. He would act just like Leo. I use to turn lights out for bedtime but leave my hall light on and door cracked open to give him a little light and only covered the back and sides of his cage until he went in his sleepy tube on his own (this signaled that he was ready for bed), then I would cover him fully. I also talked softly at night to him.

Maybe you can get him a nightlight and put it on the side of his cage that isn't fully covered.

20160923_185954_HDR-3.jpg The purple thing in the back was his sleepy tube.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
When we first got Pistachio, he would scream when we covered him for the night or sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and scream. Poor dear was only 4 months old at the time, and while he was alone in the store, there had been other bird noises nearby and he was probably scared since he was in a new place. We decided to put his travel cage on my nightstand so I could wake up and hold him for a few minutes while he calmed down and put him back. We covered the front and sides of his night cage and left the back open so he could see his nightlight.

I realize this may have been horrible parronting on my part as it taught him that if he fussed it got my attention, but that was before I "knew better" and he did end up settling down after a couple weeks. He started going to sleep more easily and slept through the night after only a couple of weeks.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I don't cover my birds up.........the shades get pulled and the room is dark, sans a few electronic LED's from devices and Wi-Fi hub. Once I tried covering the cage with a sheet and they started flapping around and panicking, so I just don't cover them, the room is plenty dark. I would just not cover him and let him be able to see you at night.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I don't cover my birds up.........the shades get pulled and the room is dark, sans a few electronic LED's from devices and Wi-Fi hub. Once I tried covering the cage with a sheet and they started flapping around and panicking, so I just don't cover them, the room is plenty dark. I would just not cover him and let him be able to see you at night.
That's what we do with Buzzard now. First, we used to cover his cage leaving an opening in the front because it was a new house & he wanted to see what was going on, then he was comfortable being fully covered. I'm not sure what changed after that but one day he started pulling his cover into his cage through the bars. After a few days of that we decided to leave his cage uncovered lest we run out of sheets. :facepalm: Eventually it started to take me so long to convince Buzz to go back in his cage at night that my husband told me to let him try sleeping on his playstand since he doesn't climb down anyway. :shrug2: It's been that was ever since. We just turn off the light in the dining room & it's still pretty bright from the attached living room light until we go to bed, but Buzzard just tucks up and goes to sleep whenever he's ready. Since he's 14, I liken it to a teenager that wants a later bedtime. He still goes to sleep at his regular time, though, so it hasn't been a problem. :rolleyes: Birds!

Long story but basically every bird is different & you just have to see what works for Leo. And also that he may decide to change his mind a couple of times, just to keep you on your toes.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine screams if her cage is not totally dark, we are talking about all of the blanket openings on the sides have to be closed, picky bugger :giggle:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What about playing some white noise?

Or simulating dusk by allowing the room to get darker and darker and allowing him to choose to go to bed?