• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming and body language

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
Im trying my best to provide him with good communication, toys, food etc. But this is what happens during the weekend only! Hes fine during the week, but then he gets like this during the weekend. He has fresh food, water and i played with him! What more does he waaaannnttt please help

(File too large so its him on top of his cage making a EEWWEWEW sound)

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You're home and not giving him every second of your attention ;)

Can he fly?

Where are you at when he's screaming?

Is there another place he can hang out other than his cage? A perch or back of the chair, etc?

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
You're home and not giving him every second of your attention ;)

Can he fly?

Where are you at when he's screaming?

Is there another place he can hang out other than his cage? A perch or back of the chair, etc?

Right??? nah hes everywhere. On the chair, on the cabinets, on the sofa, on the tv and even in my room! He physically flew to my room and screamed at me from INSIDE MY ROOM.... While i was across the house in my living room.

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
so right now the screaming has stopped... but another problem has arisen.
bedtime.
he's once again getting to that 'i want to sleep on the curtains' stage and he CANT because it's DANGEROUS and if i have to grab him and leave immediately i dont want to have to fight him to go.
i do target training and flight recall, but he'll only go to the top of the cage, not inside. i have a motion for inside and he understands what it is, and he's just... being a BALL OF SPAGHETTI right now.

any advise? :c

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you only put him to his cage at bedtime? Sometimes that makes them very difficult to wrangle at night!

For birds that won't go to bed on their own, I don't feed outside the cage at all. If they want food, they have to go "home" to do so. Bedtime is the best time to slip in a treat they love...I even show it to them and put it in before I walk away.

I have had a few hands off birds that eventually figure this out :lol: If you can catch them the moment they hit the perch on the door with a "Home!" And then stride over and lock them in as they climb in, it can help teach that word to them.

I also have a timer on my light near the cages. When that light goes off, they go home for their bedtime snack before they go to sleep. Ripley sometimes decides the ropes above his cage are better, but an almond convinces him otherwise ;)

I don't know if this works for anyone else but it seems to have worked for me.

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
Do you only put him to his cage at bedtime? Sometimes that makes them very difficult to wrangle at night!

For birds that won't go to bed on their own, I don't feed outside the cage at all. If they want food, they have to go "home" to do so. Bedtime is the best time to slip in a treat they love...I even show it to them and put it in before I walk away.

I have had a few hands off birds that eventually figure this out :lol: If you can catch them the moment they hit the perch on the door with a "Home!" And then stride over and lock them in as they climb in, it can help teach that word to them.

I also have a timer on my light near the cages. When that light goes off, they go home for their bedtime snack before they go to sleep. Ripley sometimes decides the ropes above his cage are better, but an almond convinces him otherwise ;)

I don't know if this works for anyone else but it seems to have worked for me.
this is great advise. ill be sure to see if it works tonight! im gonna try it. :) thanks so much! home is such a great word to teach.
and yes i only put him in his cage at bedtime! he's free flighted all day (naughty boi haha) :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try giving him brief moments in the cage during the day. Use a treat to lure him in to practice "home". Once he does it, and you lock him in, let him back out :) Do varying lengths; a few moments, 5 mins, etc. Let him see that cage time is not always forever.