• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming all day for no reason

K-G

Meeting neighbors
I have a 1 1/2 year old adorable female Lutino(semi tame). Lately she has stuck to screaming on the top of her lungs all day for absolutely no reason. And I’m starting to not be able to take it. I even went out and got her some new toys and a perch and that still hasn’t curbed the screaming. At all.
I live in a duplex and I know my neighbors can hear her because it’s so ear piercing that it actually hurts mine. I’m trying to stop this before they complain to me. She wasn’t like this a month ago. No routines have changed. She screams just to scream.(displays healthy bird attributes) The only way she stops is covering her for 10 min. she stops but as soon as I open the cover instantly it’s back to screaming to the top of her lungs. Ignoring her doesn’t work. It makes it worse.(still doesn’t get my attention that way) If I leave the room it even gets louder and doesn’t stop.
I can’t even praise her for being quiet because she doesn’t give me a chance to.
Not sure what to do anymore. And I hate having to cover the cage because i feel mean doing it. But it’s almost as if she likes it like that. It takes her about 5 mins to stop. I even tried speaking to her in very subtle tones and she just screams back.
Any suggestions ?

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I so feel your pain.....a couple questions... How long have you owned this bird ? I might get a argument but she could be hormonal.
whats her diet? how much actual good uninterrupted sleep is she getting?, Have you tried leaving half the cage covered? maybe she isn't feeling safe. Have you tried a product called Avicalm-it was a life savior for me with my military macaw.

K-G

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the response ! I’ve had her for a little under a year. I got her from a guy who rescued her in a chicken farm auction. She’s not fond of hands but she does like me. I got her to finally eat millet out of my hands but that’s about it.
Her sleep schedule is 7pm - 10am, As I work 4am - 10am. So she goes to sleep when I do and cage is uncovered when I get home. She gets very good interrupted sleep as she’s in my room. She’s on a pellet diet but I occasionally give her seed mix with pellets in it.
I noticed she likes when the cage is partially covered throughout the day ex; blanket drapes over the back and partially both sides & top. But sleeps with it fully covered.
She doesn’t like to come out her cage either. I leave it open all the time. She’s came out twice since I’ve had her.
And I have not perhaps I should look into it

K-G

Meeting neighbors
I don’t mind bird noises as I understand they’re social animals but the screaming is definitely out of hand !

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

K-G

Meeting neighbors
i have tried to get her to come out and she doesn’t really want to. There’s a perch at the door which she can come out and sit on and has never. And I do agree she is bored. If I don’t put her in “time out” she will never stop screaming. Sometimes she gets the hint and sometimes not. What other way could I have her come out without actually grabbing her ?

K-G

Meeting neighbors
I never have grabbed her. I just don’t want to do that

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I am with ya on the noise. I have 9 birds and most of the time my house is quite . Does she have toys to shred, to destroy-to keep her busy? Have you tried fresh fruits & veggies added to her diet? Diet plays a huge part of a birds life-especially pet birds. As far as not coming out her cage, that's her safety zone, she has to have a reason to come out-I don't leave any food in my cages at night-morning time is bonding time-I uncover everyone-we sing & dance and I hand feed them their favorite treat but I hold it in my hand outside of the cage, they have to come to me to get it, I am way pass building a relationship w/ my birds but back in the beginning if they were hesitate to come out I would walk away and come back in a few minutes & try again. I do this in the morning because they are most hungry, now its just apart of our routine and they look forward to it. You are still very much in the building trust stage so its going to take patience's .She is in a whole new environment and going through the adjustment stage .

K-G

Meeting neighbors
Yes she has a few i rotate around. I could try some fruits and veggies. But she doesn’t even like anything new either lol. I’ve tried putting stuff in the food bowl and she ignores it if its not millet. You have given me some good advice though thank you. I think I have a few ideas I can try now as well as use the post above

K-G

Meeting neighbors
She has warmed up tons since I first gotten her. But yes there is definitely much more trust to be built still

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If I don’t put her in “time out” she will never stop screaming.

Birds do not understand punishment and time out is just that. Have you had her checked out by an avian vet? Coming from where you said she came from was not a good place for a Cockatiel. She apparently has not been socialized. I suggest you make efforts in that direction. Is there anything out side the cage for her to enjoy like a bird stand with lots of goodies, treats and toys? Is this bird getting flying exercise? Is there sunlight in the room for helping to increase her mood? Do you play the sounds of other cockatiels for this bird from YouTube? Please don't give up on this bird. Understanding and your attention and a pair of ear plugs would help. Birds don't scream for no reason.

10 Tips for Relationships with Parrots – Pamela Clark, CPBC

Last edited:
Reactions: tka

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sometimes the screaming has to get worse before it gets better. I had my fiancé read the article I attached because my cockatoo screamed constantly when just the two of them were home alone. Following the advise worked for us. As for getting her to come out, does she like millet spray? Most tiels love it. You can try hanging a piece by the perch outside her door to see if that entices her to come out.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe she’s thinking of her cage as a nest, and covering it could be what she wants. How big is the cage? I would try to stop covering it if you can. I would save millet for building trust. Maybe she will come out on a perch if you lure her with millet. I also don’t feed my birds at night, but 15 hours of sleep seems like a lot. Is her sleep cage the same as her day cage? When she’s sleeping is her cage cozy and dim like a nest, or almost completely dark? I think she is lonely and bored too, and maybe some target training through the cage bars or making her forage for food would help.

K-G

Meeting neighbors
so I would just like to update that Daisy has been doing great. I have curbed the screaming about 90% and we are both happy with each other’s company again.
Even though she annoys me sometimes, I couldn’t give up on her! I love my animals