• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scented home remedies

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
my family doesn't like the smell in my room where my parrot and cage is. I honestly don't mind it but they want me to do something about it.
If I burn a natural smelling insense like lavender in my room AND take my bird with me to my boyfriends house so the bird isn't in there while it's burning and come back is it okay? I'd give my room 2-3 hours also with the window open while I'm gone. I just need to freshen it up

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It might be okay, if all the smell from it is absolutely, completely gone, but I'm wondering why your bird/cage smells? My birds don't smell at all unless they are wet, and their poop is odorless. How often go you clean the cage and vacuum? Do your birds get their cages very wet?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You shouldn't burn anything or have any type of deodorizing plug-ins in your room as they can and will affect your birds breathing. I would keep your window(s) open to air out your room and clean out the bottom of the cage on a daily basis but something is going on if there is a smell in your room. A cage shouldn't smell unless there's something else going on. Are you sure the smell is from the birds?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree with SandraK, there really shouldn't be a smell.......... Bird's droppings shouldn't have an odor to them unless there's something wrong.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can use a high quality lavender oil (the essential oil, not a scented product or candle) in a diffuser and that would be safe. I use it in my bedroom at night for relaxation.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No,,,make the room smell better with simmered orange or lemon peels, add a cinnamon sticks or a vanilla bean. Is it the musty feather smell? I get it when the humidity is high and usually simmering the above and opened windows help. As well as keeping very very clean cages, cage bottoms and sweeping or vacuuming every single day.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Agreed that cages shouldn't stink unless their is an illness, cage isn't being cleaned enough, water bowl is getting gross, or fresh food is being left out too long. Humidity CAN cause a smell though too, I suppose.

Easiest cheapest option would be to use a mixture of white vinegar and water mixed 50/50, and then spray it all over the room (take bird out just in case, as it can be overpowering). Let it dry naturally over a few hours. Vinegar takes the smells with it and leaves everything smelling fresh.

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
My sister doesn't like the smell of my parrot. And all honesty I almost think he smells good. I was just wanting to make sure it didn't smell in there when friends came over. I don't notice a smell but I live in there

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My sister doesn't like the smell of my parrot. And all honesty I almost think he smells good. I was just wanting to make sure it didn't smell in there when friends came over. I don't notice a smell but I live in there
I like how my fids smell too, then again I like how horses smell and wet dogs .... go figure.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I wouldn't do just any oil diffuser, many essential oils and such that are sold are often not even safe to use in enclosed spaces for humans and if you research you'll find most aren't okay even around kids. There may be certain ones that are okay but I've never tried. I would try to just keep the cage super clean and maybe offer water for baths or mist often to help keep the bird clean too. I can't stand the smell of cheap seed and pellets, I'm not sure what you feed but the food could always be a part of the complaint. I have no idea what you feed but whenever I feed seed or any of the "stinky" stuff (LOL) I only give it for a short amount of time then I take it away and store it in an air tight container. I'm just weird I think tho.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I just use a vinegar/water mixture and simmer oranges with cinnamon sticks. Sometimes I'll clean with lemons too, so I can have that natural lemon smell. I don't smell my birds, but I do have dogs, and they definitely smell, especially since it's been raining so much lately! It works wonders for me!

Happy879

Checking out the neighborhood
I hv electus parrot , 3 months old , he smell musty too, his cage in my bedroom, and have a strong smell , I have to open win dow all the time even cold day, I clean the bottom cage twice a day, but my room and my bird still smell musty,, may be depend in each bird, I was have galah parrot , his smell nice like a powder. Today I try mix spray of apple cider vinegar, hopefully it's help but the smell of vinegar make me dizzy and headache. I think I will changel to white vinegar mix water tmr., so thx for all post many variations idea for me too.I would love to try orangel , lemon , China mon and lavender oil too .:)

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I'll say that if you use too much vinegar and do not thoroughly wash and rinse the trays, walls, floors, toys, cages, rays, dishes cages on a regular basis there will be old left over foods you won't see and causes a bad odor. My Diablo loves strawberries and I have found bits of it on my ceiling on the other side of the room, in windows down deep in the pane, where I can't get to it w/o tweezers! We regularly wash their perches and anything they could poop on, which is everything. I've had to scrub the ceiling!

Check the vacuum and when you do vacuum, make sure your windows are open. Ours has a HEPA Filter, Dyson Ball, and we still open the window as it can sometimes smell dusty. You can try the below or something similar that is safe and put in a location out of reach of your pets like this:

Amazon.com: Refrigerator Deodorizer and Air Freshener Made with Carbon Activated Bamboo Charcoal - Fragrance Free, Non-toxic, Safe Near Foods and Liquids - Food Saver: Health & Personal Care

We put it behind their cages or under where ever they can't get to it.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I use a simmering pot filled with cloves, cinnamon sticks, and allspice. You can buy the pots for like $10 at Wal-Mart.

Happy879

Checking out the neighborhood
Ty , family. And pains for yr post , I will try it all , I would love my happy smell nice ,
Happy just 3 months old and eat only formular food , not try much of solid food , and I just try to teach him to eat vegetables and fruit by him self too , he quit confuse with the food that I give him , not try to bite , just open his beak and Wait for food ,
Anyway that why I wonder y he hv smell musty , I clean cage twice a day , lay with paper , spray mix of vinegar water, all over and dry it with fan , make sure no any smell everytime before put him back to the cage.
And wash everything in the cage with vinegar.
From now on I hope all yr suggest will help , thx a lot .