• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scaly Leg Mites

Kathy Marie

Checking out the neighborhood
Approximately four years ago I adopted a young male canary from a lady who was going into a nursing home and could no longer care for him. She told me that he was purchased from a pet store about nine months earlier for her husband who was in the end stages of cancer. The bird was to keep him company and give him something to focus on. He is the only bird that I have and he has always been in great health.
I am uncomfortable clipping his nails so I have always taken him to a lady who owns and operates a bird store. She has over thirty years of bird experience and is just wonderful in handling him. She gets him out and clips his nails quickly and returns him to his cage. He immediately jumps up to his perch and is very comfortable.
I have to add that I had another canary who lived to be almost fifteen years old and for his whole life I always took him to the same place.

When I took Sunny (my current bird) in for his nail trim she noticed that his legs were a little dry and scaly. She treated him with a drop of Ivermectin on the back of his head and applied mineral oil to his legs.
She advised us to return for another treatment in two weeks and then again in another two weeks.

He has now had three treatments and his legs are looking very good. He is back to his usual perky self and is singing his little heart out. She told us that he is looking good and his weight is very stable.

My question is how could he have contacted the mites? Admittingly I don't know all that much about avian medicine even though I worked for years in a veterinary clinic but our doctors did not see birds.

I hope this question doesn't sound silly but could he have contacted the mites from spray millet that I purchased from a feed store? This was the first time I bought from this particular store.

I keep his cage very clean and it is a large cage so he has lots of room to flitter from perch to perch. I use white cage liners that I purchase online. I always make sure that he gets 12-14 hours of sleep each night and his cage is always covered with a dark cage cover.

I would appreciate any advice that anyone could give me. We love this little guy and want him to have the best life possible.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Arr it sounds like you'd do anything fir sunny. If you didn't need to take him out for his nails then id say the mites have been brought in from an outside source. But im assuming he pickedpthem up on his outings ...i treat my canaries monthly for mites so i know they are clear. Mites can remain dormant too.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Scaly mites in particular are hard to notice; by the time you've seen the signs, they've had mites a long time! Good that someone treated it.

For others who might try this, the ivermectin works but putting oil on their legs can lead to bacterial infection I am told.