• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scale Babies

blujp

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Loren
I might not have a bird just yet, but I do have some scaley pets!

My first is Ichabod, a crested gecko. I got him in January of 2014. He's not fond of being held but occasionally I can get him out.

After that came Kieren, a bloodred corn snake I got September of 2014 (mailed to me from a breeder!). He is a perfect snake - eats f/t fine, tolerates being held and will let me give him snoot boops.

Then, Simon! I got him last January from a reptile expo in town. He's a lesser ball python. When I first got him he was a hissy baby but he's calmed down a lot! He's still headshy (like most bps) and wary of sudden movements.

Last, but not least, is Baz my anery Kenyan Sand Boa. He was born October 28th and came home mid-November. He's still a flaily baby and I tend to leave him alone and only handle once or week or so he doesn't stress out, but he's a cutie!

I also have three fish who I might post in the fish section and two land hermit crabs I recently rescue.

blujp

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Loren
The hermits are super cool! I have one that likes to climb on his rope bridge and he's always out and about.

I've still got at least four or five months before I'll be able to start looking for a bird, but I'm planning on a green cheek conure or a cockatiel (or lovebird!). I plan on getting it from craigslist so we'll see what's around when I'm able to finally get one.

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Having a cockatiel, I have to say they are full of personality and great pets, though they can't really talk like some of the larger parrots.

blujp

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Loren
I'm not all that fussed about talking ability! I haven't had the chance to handle a tame cockatiel so if I could find one that could potentially sway my opinion! Would you say cockatiels do better having two rather than one or does it matter?

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
As long as the bird is handled enough and receives enough one-on-one attention daily, being a single bird should be fine.
Your reptiles are stunning, love the ball python! He's so beautiful.:heart:

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
In my opinion, reptiles are easier to care for than birds and need less attention. I also own a Cuban rock iguana :) she's such a tame girl.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Depending on the reptile and its requirements in my opinion. Some I hear have very specific temp/humidity and diets. While birds are not an "easy" pet to keep, some reptiles are on the more fragile side so can be difficult to keep.

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
I'm over my reptile living requirements. I live in New England so I wanted to give her more. She has a 9 by 9 walk in closet with a high ceiling and shelves to walk around, a ladder to walk down. An electric heater, a full window, baseboard heat, 2 heat rocks plus 3 diff kinds of lights. She's going on 6 yrs old. I'm doing something right....she's happy and huge! Plus I feed her well with a little added vitamins and she gets a mist of water daily, like my plants. :) Cuban rock iguanas are a little different than green iguanas as far as care etc.

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Lucky, spoiled girl! I love iguanas. I see them quite often where I live(South Florida) and they are just beautiful. :heart:

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Lol I don't think I own a fragile pet. Conures, pit bulls, my Siamese cat? No way.....no ones messes with my block. Jk lol....

Last edited:

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
The first time I saw an iguana was on a childhood vacation with my dad in St.Thomas. I wanted to take one home. But I remember their behavior was different than mine. There was so many of them.

blujp

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Loren
All my reptiles are pretty easy care-wise and they're definitely more low-maintenance than a bird as far as handling requirements go. Most would be fine being handled once a week and really only tolerate handling instead of needing it, but yeah, depending on the species some of them have demanding husbandry requirements! Once you get those set though it's usually pretty easy! The most demanding of my pets are the hermits but that's because their humidity keeps fluctuating and they need it at least 70% to breathe.

Sylvi_ I'm in Southwest Florida and I don't think I've ever seen a wild ig! I'll have to go looking.

Also, on the subject of birds - the only thing I"m worried about the fact that I'll be gone during the school year (I'm a teacher) from 7am-5pm so I'm not sure if that's too long even though I'll spend the rest of the time I'm home in the evenings and the summers with the bird. I just don't want the poor thing to be bored (although I'll put music on and I'm debating on ordering a double flight cage instead of a single - it'll depend on how big my room is in the house I'm moving to).

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'd go for the double flight if you have the space. The more time the bird is by itself, the more space and enritchment is needed. Also depending on the species you are interested in, a second bird could be an option as well.
Good luck with finding your feathered friend. :)

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
Oh baz is very cute! I love boas but don't like feeding insects or rodents to them.

And thus I believe Cresties and Gargs to be the perfect herps! Yours is lovely .