• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saying good-bye

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
A week ago today we had to say good-bye to our buddy, Bear! It was the hardest thing for us to do especially for my husband since Bear was "his". Here is their (Bear & Lucky) story........

In October 2000, we got married and soon after we heard of a littler of 5 pups abandoned in the Mojave desert by friends who worked at the vet clinic on the base we were stationed at. Well, I fell in love with the only girl of the littler while my hubby fell in love with Bear. So we decided to give them a home. They were so young that their eyes weren't even open so we left them in the care of the vet office till they were all ready to go to homes. We visited them almost daily till we brought them home in November 2000. They both have moved 8 times with us and were there with us for all 4 of our kids.

First a bit about Lucky!! She was an amazing dog and my sweetie!! She let the kids do anything with her and to her! She was so gentle at all times! In 2006 she had a little of 10 pups (1 stillborn) and was an amazing mamma to all of them. No we didn't breed her - our friends and neighbors yellow lab was so in love with her that when we were at work decided to break through our wooden fence and my friend couldn't separate them in time therefore the deed was done. They all got great homes. One even moved to Italy when the military moved his new dad there and another became a search and rescue dog while the others all went to great home. While we lived in Texas, we noticed a lump and in October 2011, she was diagnosed with cancer. It was the worst kind and nothing could be done for her. Lucky remained "healthy" and active until April 2014 when in a 3 day period we realized we had to make a choice for her well being. Lucky passed away in her home the night before we were to take her to the Dr. to end her suffering. I'm glad she was at peace in our home with everything she has ever known.....Lucky past away on 15 April 2014! She has been dearly missed!!! We had 13.5 amazing years with Ms. Luck Luck!!!

Now about her brother, best friend and littler mate, Bear! Awe.....what can I say about Mr. Bear??? He was a handome "meathead" of a dog (said in the most loving way of course!). He had a harder time adjusting to the kids but always tolerated them with love! When he was about 8yrs old he blew out one of his back knees and ended up with a "metal" knee which cost a few pretty penny's but felt it was the best for him since he had more years ahead of him. At about the age of 13 he somehow blew out the other back knee! We decided to let it heal on its own knowing he would heal with a slight limp. We had to also now consider his old age, 4 kids and that we didn't have a few thousand dollars for another metal knee replacement. So fast forward to now......it's been more an more difficult for him to be able to get up on his own with his old age, cancer (just like his sister), and living in a house that is all hardwood floors! Over time it was more and more difficult. We realized that he was in pain and suffering but my husband couldn't come to term with letting him go.......until last week. All I could do was encourage, support and guide him to the right choose for Bear but he had to accept it . There was nothing I could do and I didn't want hubby to recent me by taking care of it on my own.....it's "his" dog after all therefore he had to come to terms with the reality before any peace came for Bear. Well last week he finally came to the resolution that he needed to help Bear by making one of the most difficult decision - he was letting his buddy, his BFF Bear go!! I was relieved that he was ready and Bear could be a peace yet heartbroken that we were all losing an amazing dog who we have know and loved for 15 years!! My heart was also breaking for the hurt my husband felt inside of himself!! On 21 October 2015 Bear was released from his pain and joined his sister over the rainbow! He had just turned 15 yrs old the beginning of October.

Both Bear and Lucky are running and playing together as they once did in their younger years enjoying life once again - TOGETHER!!! They will always be dearly missed and loved!!

***NOTE***
I'll post pics of theme from my computer when I can!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry for your loss of Bear and also Lucky.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sad5: This was a very sweet tribute to your beloved dogs! :heart::sad7:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Thank you!! I took me a while to write it as I cried while writing it...... :(

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
:hug5: What a heartwarming story. I'm so sorry for your loss of Bear!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Writing that story will help with the grief. Your story is so touching. Thank you for sharing. :hug9:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Very very nice tribute. They where so lucky to have such a loving special home.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What a long and wonderful life Bear had. I'm so sorry that you had to help bring him peace. Hugs to you.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm crying, thank you for sharing their story.
I'm so sorry for your loss. They had long, wonderful, lives filled with love and adventure.
:sadhug2:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Warm fuzzy hugs winging your way. When the loss bites, deliberately bring up a memory of the good times you experienced with your dog's and sooner than you can imagine, all you will think of when you think about them is the time you were so blessed to have with them.

Your story was a great way to celebrate the love you shared with them.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Matt

pixie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
emma
:crycry: Hugs coming for you and your O.H. the pain you are feeling is so familiar here too.:sadhug:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
So sorry for your loss. Sounds like both pups and humans ended up with a great life together.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I am so sorry for you loss. Bear had a wonderful life with you.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:sad7::sad7: A beautifully written memorial for two furry kids who were obviously very much loved and a part of your family, not to mention missed. :sorrow: I'm sure they're wreaking havoc around Rainbow Bridge. My condolences on your recent and prior loss. :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

birdle

I'm so sorry for your loss :( letting go would be so hard.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I am so sorry for you losses. That was a beautiful story - thank you for sharing it with us.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss.