• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sand paper toys?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Did you know a 19" white dinosaur with a crest of French fries could grab a nail file without you noticing and shred it in their cage overnight?

I didn't.

Are sandpaper toys safe? Any reason not to put one together?

IMG_8245.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I would worry sandpaper is too abrasive ?
I was thinking about the super fine grit, the stuff that almost feels soft to the touch

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Oh wow ;)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yeah they seem to be attractive to some!
Burt has stolen them and destroyed them before and Birdie has damaged some but I would not encourage it due to the fact that the sand is held on with glue so you get the issue with possible ingestion of the sand (which we don't know if it is even the same as beach sand or if it treated in some way etc) and the issue of the glue and tough paper- if it is a file then you also have the added issue of what ever padding or board they have used for the file. If Burt gets one and is not in a panic to destroy it thinking I am gonna take it back then he will sit there crushing the little bits of sand which does worry me as who could tell where that sand come from or how much of it he is likely to ingest. I believe pure sand is not too much of an issue for living beings if it happens to be eaten but I do not even know how we could find out the sources and processes for making sand papers.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Yeah they seem to be attractive to some!
Burt has stolen them and destroyed them before and Birdie has damaged some but I would not encourage it due to the fact that the sand is held on with glue so you get the issue with possible ingestion of the sand (which we don't know if it is even the same as beach sand or if it treated in some way etc) and the issue of the glue and tough paper- if it is a file then you also have the added issue of what ever padding or board they have used for the file. If Burt gets one and is not in a panic to destroy it thinking I am gonna take it back then he will sit there crushing the little bits of sand which does worry me as who could tell where that sand come from or how much of it he is likely to ingest. I believe pure sand is not too much of an issue for living beings if it happens to be eaten but I do not even know how we could find out the sources and processes for making sand papers.
Yeah she snagged it without my knowing - which I have no idea how because it was on the table where I sit in the bird room :shifty: I came out this morning to the pink bits everywhere.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Yeah she snagged it without my knowing - which I have no idea how because it was on the table where I sit in the bird room :shifty: I came out this morning to the pink bits everywhere.
Stuck it in her rump like indie does :rofl:

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I agree with Shezbug. I wouldn’t want a bird to ingest the glue holding the abrasive, or possible plasticky foam material making up the body of the file.