• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Same room quarantine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperdragon

Rollerblading along the road
What do people do for quarantine when there's only one room they can keep their birds in and nobody else that can can house them? Do you just not add to your flock at all, or is there some way you can still quarantine to some degree in the same room as the current flock?
Last time I got a new bird it was before my sis and her kids moved in, now there's no free rooms, and the kids can't be trusted with birds. :(

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I would try to find somewhere outside your house to keep him for a month. No matter what I'd vet right away.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
there is no way to do a quarantine in the same room....in fact, it is recommended that the breathing spaces even be separate..I would definitely vet the bird immediately to make sure that he/she is well, before bringing him into your current flock if you cannot quarantine.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Are you sure you can't find a corner of a room somewhere separate? Dining room, kitchen (not optimum), bathroom, bedroom? Or a neighbour's where you could go in twice/day to feed & clean?
It's not quarantine if they are in the same room.

paperdragon

Ok, that's kinda what I figured. Eh, maybe with enough wheedling I can convince someone in the family to give up a little birdcage space for a proper quarantine.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Right now, I'm quarantining my cockatiel in the bathroom, with the door closed, away from my Lovebirds who are in the living room, for a month before the vet visit.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My vet says same room quarantine is fine. Common sense tells me it's a risk I don't want to take.

If it was a single bird home and I could have the bird disease tested and get the results back before picking it up, I would do a same room quarantine. I realize that there are some things disease testing won't pick up, but the CBC would still be off if anything was wrong.

paperdragon

Right now, I'm quarantining my cockatiel in the bathroom, with the door closed, away from my Lovebirds who are in the living room, for a month before the vet visit.
In the bathroom? My poor bird would look like this for the rest of its life --> :eek:
:lol:

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Be very very cautious when you add to your flock. Make sure that you get a bird from a trustworthy source, visit them, see if you can get the bird vetted while still in their care so you get the results BEFORE the bird gets home. Remember, you can never be too paranoid. Most people will understand wanting to be very very cautious about bringing in a new bird with your flock.

paperdragon

Be very very cautious when you add to your flock. Make sure that you get a bird from a trustworthy source, visit them, see if you can get the bird vetted while still in their care so you get the results BEFORE the bird gets home. Remember, you can never be too paranoid. Most people will understand wanting to be very very cautious about bringing in a new bird with your flock.
Yeah, I would love to get a nice hand-tame budgie from a good breeder. That's another problem, all I can find in driving distance are pet shops and a couple breeders that I don't really trust. I can't go more than 20 miles outside my town since I have to borrow a vehicle.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
It's better than the furnace room:eek: At least he'll get regular "visits" from everyone using the bathroom:hehe::D:lol:
Itsy is in my ensuite bathroom too. It's pretty big for a bathroom and has a nice big window. At first she was there because it was the only other room I could close the door away from the cats. The current bird room is too small for another cage. And the new bird room is in perpetual "progress" (getting closer now) so couldn't use it yet. But now I like having her there because we get to spend a lot of time together in the morning when I am getting ready for work and she flies over to have a shower with me. I have 2 other bathrooms so don't have to disturb her in the night if I have to get up.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Odd that a vet doesn't understand what quarantine is. :huh:
I didn't ask him to go into detail because I didn't plan on a same room quarantine, but I think his line of thought is that another room isn't all that helpful. If i disease is airborne, it's going to get into any room. If it's contact only, then across a room isn't going to provide the contact. I would worry about the ease of feather dust traveling across a room. Many diseases can be carried by the dust.

paperdragon

Didn't think about dust. Yeah, I'll definitely be sticking with a regular quarantine. I Just need to hurry up and figure out where. I just discovered from reading through old posts here that there's an awesome looking pet shop/ avian rescue just a couple towns away. :woot2:

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
i was told a same room quarantine would be fine but in two weeks do the cultures because doing them right away may not show anything else... this was for a completely unknown bird! turns out that bird was sold before i got there :( I am adopting from a rescue. This bird has been exposed to other birds from the rescue. what type of quarantine would be recommended?

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
i was told a same room quarantine would be fine but in two weeks do the cultures because doing them right away may not show anything else... this was for a completely unknown bird! turns out that bird was sold before i got there :( I am adopting from a rescue. This bird has been exposed to other birds from the rescue. what type of quarantine would be recommended?
I recently got Tiki from a rescue. My vet recommended 45-60 days, separate room of course. Optimally, separate air would be best which could work if the furnace and central air conditioning are not used, block off the cold air return, towel at base of doors. But right now it's pretty hot so a/c is needed. You should not wear the same clothes for different birds but what I find easiest is when I get Tiki out I use her towel on me right up to my chin (sitting on the bed). I wash my hands and face after putting her away before seeing the other birds.

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
I would definitely get him/her vetted and do quarrantine just to be careful and yeah the bathroom may be your only option! I'm sure somebody could lend you a hand though :)

paperdragon

Heh, I was wondering why this was popping up again. :) I ended up quarantining my guys in my parent's room, which has separate airflow from my room where my other birds are. It worked out pretty well. My mom initially didn't want to do it because of space, but once she actually got them in there she started talking about how she wouldn't mind having some budgies of her own. :D

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Honestly, in my opinion, unless you can get a separate airspace, then it is pretty much impossible to do a "real" quarantine. So in a way, I can understand why they say "Same room is fine"... it's not a quarantine, but if you put the bird in a different room, it's almost the equivalent.

I would just vet before you take home, and if you can keep it at a friend's house.. awesome... if not, then the chances are slim that you can preform an actually quarantine in your home. Most things are airborne and travel easily, so even if you don't share things, disinfect everything, you might still risk it. The only thing that you might save your current flock from are things that are shed through feathers, and poop (if you clean yourself thoroughly between the two rooms).

That's just my thought at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.