• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sam, in a basket

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
Sam was found by a friend of mine, starving, injured, and trying to take care of a nest of baby rabbits. We don't know what happened to his eye. It was missing when she found him. She couldn't keep him so we happily took himin.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww poor little moggie. Nice that he has a home now :)

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
Did you say taking care of baby bunnies?
yes. he is such a loving, sweet boy that he was trying to take care of a nest of baby rabbits. he was grooming them and keeping them warm. since the mother had probably been scared off by sam (he probably just found babies alone and wanted to help) they were taken to the local wildlife care center. they are very good.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Poor bunny mum :( Did anyone try to find her to reunite her with her babies?

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
i was told that my friend tried, but it seems she never came back. it's hard to tell if she had left them (rabbits leave their babies alone for hours and hours at a time, it's normal) and same found them and thought they were orphaned, or if something had really happened to the mother. but sam was trying to take care of them even though he was on death's door himself.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Rabbits are odd like that. They don’t seem to have a strong maternal bond like other animals. Of all animals I’ve ever worked with - rabbits seem the most prone to being aggravated, high strung or non-caring. They seem to easily kill/eat their young and think nothing of abandoning them. Maybe because the reproduce so rapidly. I’m not sure I just know that the cat had as little to do with the mother going away as the sun coming up. Especially if the guy was so ill as to represent no threat. People have a harder time reconciling a rabbit’s careless behavior than with other animals because I believe we have glorified the rabbit too much. It’s cute, fluffy, couldn’t hurt a fly Disney image is so far from the truth it makes me laugh to tears. Rabbits will be the first to bite, kick, scratch & kill if they feel like it but too much of an opposite pic for people to reconcile. :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for taking him in! Looks beautiful. Too bad about his eye, but it probably adds to his personality.

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
Rabbits are odd like that. They don’t seem to have a strong maternal bond like other animals. Of all animals I’ve ever worked with - rabbits seem the most prone to being aggravated, high strung or non-caring. They seem to easily kill/eat their young and think nothing of abandoning them. Maybe because the reproduce so rapidly. I’m not sure I just know that the cat had as little to do with the mother going away as the sun coming up. Especially if the guy was so ill as to represent no threat. People have a harder time reconciling a rabbit’s careless behavior than with other animals because I believe we have glorified the rabbit too much. It’s cute, fluffy, couldn’t hurt a fly Disney image is so far from the truth it makes me laugh to tears. Rabbits will be the first to bite, kick, scratch & kill if they feel like it but too much of an opposite pic for people to reconcile. :)
while i have never raised rabbits, i have shared my life with several, and i agree. they are a cantankerous lot. can be nasty, even. doesn't stop me from loving them, but the truth is the truth. and i know they spend 12 or 14 hours away from the nest at a time....so....

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Awww! So happy for Sam! :heart: