• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safety of new smoke alarms and a new CO2 detector

birdielove

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

I just got new smoke alarms and one CO2 detector. Are these going to be safe for my birds? The smoke alarms are in the bedrooms and the CO2 detector is in the hallway. Their cages are in my living room. The birds are about 10 feet from the plugged in CO2 detector and about 15-20 feet from the smoke alarms in each of three bedrooms plus one in the hallway.

Are they going to be OK? I have not put any of them up yet; I am very concerned. I realize I have to have something in the house I just realized that they might be a concern? Because of the smell of them or anything else that may be harmful to them. Right now they are all in the garage in case they have any kind of smell. Will they be OK when I do put them up and a battery is installed?

Thank you
Pam

Last edited:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Yes, they will be fine. If you're concerned about a plastic smell when you first open them just leave them in the garage for a day or two.

They're pretty benign devices, and definitely necessary to have around!

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If they seem to have any smell to them, I would put them outside on a table to air out when you have a dry day. Unless there is a smell to them, there is no problem using these types of detectors around birds.

birdielove

Meeting neighbors
Thanks expressmailtome for your input too. I was so concerned that I opened them in the garage and will leave them there for another day or so to be sure.