• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safety of exotic fruits? (star apple, June plum, maripa)

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
Hi everyone,

I just had some family fly in from Suriname and they brought along a bunch of interesting and exotic fruits. I'd love to share them with my bird, but I haven't been able to find if some of these fruits were safe for him to eat. I was wondering if anyone here knew if they are safe? In this list I'll include the ones that I do know are safe in case anyone in the future is wondering for themselves if said fruit(s) is safe.

Star Apple (Chrysophyllum cainito)
Also called the "cainito" or "milk fruit".

June Plum (Spondias dulcis)
Also called the "pomme de cythere" or "golden apple".

Maripa (Attalea maripa)

Now the fruits that I know are safe!:)

Rambutan (Nephelium lappaceum)

Java Plum (Syzygium cumini)
Also called "jamun".

Bilimbi (Averrhoa bilimbi)

That's it for the Surinamese fruit haul!
As stated above, if anyone knows if the first three fruits are safe, please let me know because I'd love to share them with my fid!:irnv:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Mizzely might be able to help you

they look incredible though hopefully your bird can share a taste

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
These ones I don't know, will have to Google and see what I can find.

MochiRed

Moving in
Hmm I have a hunch that Caimito might be bird safe, but I'll have to get back to you on that one in the morning. It's one of my mom's favorites and I think she may have mentioned if its bird safe in the past

MochiRed

Moving in
Ok spoke to both my mom and grandma and while they think they’ve seen wild birds eating them in the wild, they can’t say if it’s parrot safe or not since some bird species can tolerate foods parrots can’t. I know the rind has some latex as well, and no documentation exists on parrots eating them, so I’d err on the side of caution and just skip letting your bird try star apple.

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
Ok spoke to both my mom and grandma and while they think they’ve seen wild birds eating them in the wild, they can’t say if it’s parrot safe or not since some bird species can tolerate foods parrots can’t. I know the rind has some latex as well, and no documentation exists on parrots eating them, so I’d err on the side of caution and just skip letting your bird try star apple.
Thanks for asking for me! I also asked my in-laws and they also said they have never seen parrots eating the star apples-- which is a shame, because out of all the fruit, it was my favorite! Definitely better to be safe than sorry, so I'll keep the star apples for myself.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That star apple looks so neat! How do you eat that?