• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe/Unsafe Plants

saeruhmariee

Checking out the neighborhood
So I keep reading different things on different sites concerning a couple plants I'd like to get to spruce up my cockatiels' play area/cage. Specifically, dracaena (all species), grapevine, honeysuckle, and jade. It's like every other site that says something different. I'm hesitant to purchase any plants now because I don't know which is safe!

So, have any of you used to plants to decorate cages/aviaries/play areas/etc? And what specifically? I know any amount of foliage (even safe stuff) isn't good for birds, but I definitely don't want a toxic plant anywhere near them. HELP.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I have lots of spider plants, I know those are safe. Both my birds and cat have eaten them lol

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I have jade plants and hens & chicks in my windowsill. Both are considered to be bird-safe, but my birds don't pay them any mind anyway.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

saeruhmariee

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you guys. I ordered some wheatgrass seeds to grow (since my cat will like it too) and some spider plants. My tiels love the dracaena plant I got but they're really bad about chewing on it. I let them play on it but then have to move it away so they don't get sick. Hopefully they'll like walking around on the wheatgrass and it won't harm them when they chew it up.