• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Food Dishes

Roseicollis

Meeting neighbors
Does anyone know of safe bird dishes/dish materials that are heavy enough to be set at the bottom of the cage (ex. like a large ceramic dish or something?)

I’m scared of possible toxins leaching into food/water in the dish. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
What about a spill proof stainless dog/cat bowl. The ones that are wider on the bottom so they don't tip over :)

Roseicollis

Meeting neighbors

That's a great idea as well. I didn't think about just attaching it to the side of the cage on the bottom!
Ooh! I’ll definitely consider that. Does anyone happen to know whether or not certain ceramic bowls are birdsafe? (recommendations would be awesome!)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I've used ceramic dishes from the small pet section of any pet store before, although now I'm back to SS.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I have honestly heard both ways about ceramic bowls. Some say yes they are safe while others say they are not. I would imagine it has to do with the paint and how it was cured but I do not have a definite answer. I personally have a couple I have used for dry treats outside of the cage but that's all I use them for anymore. If I recall correctly the problem was when they were wet or something like that?