• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Sad Update)Vomiting and Black Poop

Ragu

Sprinting down the street
Our store mascot Harry, a 26 y/o Alexandrian ringneck, is suddenly vomiting and his poop is jet black! What could this be? I can see if i would be able to take him to a vet, but the soonest he could go is monday. Is there anything we could do for him in the meantime? He has been kind of lethargic (sleeping a lot on the bottom of this stand and on the floor of this play top) but we just assumed it was because he is old. I do not think this is regurgitation, it doesn't look the same and with the other signs it must be something health related. Any ideas?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Could be lead poisoning. DO NOT WAIT!

Ragu

By waiting until monday, i mean that the vets are not open tomorrow or this late in the night. IDK what to do...We moved him back to his cage and he stopped vomiting, and we just realized we have a new fly trap over by the crickets which are under the counter (where his playstand is) that smells like rotten garbage. I wonder if that could have something to do with it? Idk when that was put there, but by the amount of flys in the trap am guessing 3 or 4 days.

Here is a link to the trap
http://www.smartpakequine.com/capti...3&source=pla&gclid=CPyDsYPIkroCFe4-MgodmFAAIQ

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
No emergency vets within driving distance?

You should figure out where the nearest 24 hour avian vet is, if for no other reason than to have the info available if one of your own birds has a crisis. It's the first thing I have always done when I have moved to a new area, including mapping out the route and having that available. Having that information at the ready can literally be a lifesaver.

Ragu

There are barely any avians vets around, and the ones that do treat birds only come in 2 or 3 days a week, there is only one 24 hour vet that i know of and it will only treat dogs and cats...i have had to go there a few times and they are extremely rude. My manager is not answering her phone so i have no clue what to do. We close in ten min and i am afraid to leave him, but i do not want to take him home and expose him to Ragu and the tiels.....

Ragu

Does anyone know of a 24 avian vet in the pittsburgh area that i may have overlooked?

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Pittsburgh:
David P. Dorn - West Liberty Animal Hospital
3055 W. Liberty Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15216 - Tel. (412) 341-3383

Denise A. Pleban - Northview Animal Hospital
223 Siebert Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15237 - Tel. (412) 364-5353

Robert Wagner - Fox Chapel Animal Hospital
1152 Freeport Rd., Pittsburgh, PA 15238 - Tel. (412) 781-6446

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I suppose it's possible that he was vomiting from the smell of the fly trap but honestly I don't see how that could make his poop black.

Could a customer have given him something to eat or chew on? What is the consistency of his vomit? Did the vomit drop straight down, or shower out a ways?

How about his poop. Is it absolutely black or is it purplish?

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Also found these

Home » PA » Pittsburgh PA » Bird Care
Veterinarians for Birds Pittsburgh PA
This page provides relevant content and local businesses that can help with your search for information on Veterinarians for Birds. You will find informative articles about Veterinarians for Birds, including "Central Nervous System Viruses". Below you will also find local businesses that may provide the products or services you are looking for. Please scroll down to find the local resources in Pittsburgh, PA that can help answer your questions about Veterinarians for Birds.
Local Companies
Pet Food Delivery
Save up to $25.00 on your first purchase plus FREE SHIPPING on your pet's favorite food and treats!
PetFlow.com
Banfield Pet Hospital
412-203-4867
420 Home Dr
Pittsburgh, PA 15275
» Website » More Info
Pittsburgh Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Center
412-366-3400
807 Camp Horne Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
» Website » More Info
Banfield Pet Hospital
724-590-0328
1025 Village Center Dr
Tarentum, PA 15084
» Website » More Info
Banfield Pet Hospital
800-768-8858
» Website » More Info

VCA Castle Shannon Animal Hospital

(412) 440-5389
3610 Library Rd.
Pittsburgh, PA
(412) 543-8890
223 Siebert Rd
Pittsburgh, PA
(412) 326-9961
1720 Ferguson Rd
Allison Park, PA
(724) 453-4908
13055 Perry Highway
Wexford, PA
(724) 856-0920
211 E Mcmurray Rd
Mc Murray, PA
(412) 564-2233
171 Green Drive
Pittsburgh, PA
(412) 543-8292
223 Siebert Rd
Pittsburgh, PA
(412) 543-8413
1152 Freeport Road
Pittsburgh , PA
(724) 453-4957
1999 Golden Mile Hwy
Pittsburgh, PA
(724) 453-4906
1230 Mars Evans City Rd
Mars, PA

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
GI bleeding in any creature including us is an emergency. Any e-vet that will take in birds is where he needs to go. They can consult with a CAV on the phone.

If I call my CAV after hours there is the preferred e-vet on the phone message. Or I can leave a message and someone will call me back in a few minutes so we can decide if I need the e-vet or what I can do myself until I can take the bird in the next day. GI bleed though I wouldn't wait for a call back. That is an emergency.

Dani

Avenue Veteran
Just sending prayers and hugs :hug8:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I hope you found a vet. This sounds very serious.

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Oh this is serious and scary, I hope he finds his way to the vet and gets better ASAP!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Could a customer have given him something to eat or chew on?
Good point. Are there cameras set up? Black poop can also mean renal failure. And vomiting can mean many things, including very serious diseases like PDD. I hope you are able to find someone to see him asap. Sending good energy that he will be ok.:hug8:

Ragu

Also found these

Banfield Pet Hospital
412-203-4867

420 Home Dr
Pittsburgh, PA 15275
» Website » More Info
Pittsburgh Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Center
412-366-3400

807 Camp Horne Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
» Website » More Info
Banfield Pet Hospital
724-590-0328

1025 Village Center Dr
Tarentum, PA 15084
» Website » More Info
Banfield Pet Hospital
800-768-8858

» Website » More Info

VCA Castle Shannon Animal Hospital

(412) 440-5389
3610 Library Rd.
Pittsburgh, PA
(412) 543-8890
223 Siebert Rd
Pittsburgh, PA
(412) 326-9961
1720 Ferguson Rd
Allison Park, PA
(724) 453-4908
13055 Perry Highway
Wexford, PA
(724) 856-0920
211 E Mcmurray Rd
Mc Murray, PA
(412) 564-2233
171 Green Drive
Pittsburgh, PA
(412) 543-8292
223 Siebert Rd
Pittsburgh, PA
(412) 543-8413
1152 Freeport Road
Pittsburgh , PA
(724) 453-4957
1999 Golden Mile Hwy
Pittsburgh, PA
(724) 453-4906
1230 Mars Evans City Rd
Mars, PA

Most of these i am familiar with and they will not see birds, i called the emergency vet that is 24 hours and they were no help (like i said, they are rude). I left a message at some of the avian vets and i am hoping they will get back to me asap. I am really hoping i will even be allowed to take him, or that the store will pay for his treatment because between trying to buy a house, all the car issues from last month, my own pets, and bills, i am spread thinner then i would like right now. This is just not something i need on my plate at the moment. Here is what the vomit and poop looked like last night.

We all love Harry, and though we do not expect him to live much longer because of his age, we will all be crushed when he goes. But i will do everything in my power to make sure that when he does go, it is from old age. Today is my day off, but i am going to go to the store and see what i can do and talk to my manager since she will be in, and try to figure out our options. I will try to keep you guys updated...Poor Harry! Why do these things always happen on a weekend!

Ragu

Good point. Are there cameras set up? Black poop can also mean renal failure. And vomiting can mean many things, including very serious diseases like PDD. I hope you are able to find someone to see him asap. Sending good energy that he will be ok.:hug8:

I had also thought about this, but we are pretty vigilant about watching people around the animals, especially the girl that was on register last night. i am mostly back in the grooming area now, but anytime i am up front i am constantly yelling at people to stop touching, or taunting, and acting like they have never seen an animal before. Also Harry is VERY particular about who he will interact with, even as far as taking treats. So the chances of him taking something from someone is pretty slim...especially without our knowing because he will let out squawk when someone he doesn't know gets too close. I wish someone could have brought him home last night, i have been worried sick! But the only people working was me, my BF, and another girl, and we all have birds and did not want to risk passing anything to our fids, plus it may have done more harm then good to move him to an unfamiliar place. He was looking much better when i finally left, but i m still terrified i will come in and be told he didn't make it through the night!