• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (sad update) I NEED HELP

Barefoot Parrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Booker
Monty got attacked by our cat. He has two wounds on his neck, one much bigger than the other. I put antibiotic cream on both but I know cats mouths and nails are freaking dirty so I know I'm gonna need oral antibiotics.

Guys, I need your help. PLEASE DONT TELL ME TO GO TO THE VET. There are literally no vets around here on Sunday. I have to treat him myself until then. Please use your collected wisdom to guide me through this tragedy.

I have him wrapped in a towel with antibiotic cream on both wounds. He's breathing softly and sometimes I'll hear him make a guttural sound. He closes his eyes but opens them if I move. Please help me

Barefoot Parrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Booker
Nvm he's gone... He started having a seizure and just slipped away. Idk what I'm gonna do now. His corner in our house is so empty. I look over and nothing's there. I'm probably gonna break something today. This sucks

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
im so sorry you did what you could

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I'm so sorry to hear about this. Cat saliva is very toxic to birds and the stress of the attack didn't help. I've seen this happen to many birds people have brought to our wild bird clinic. :( :sadhug2:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Nvm he's gone... He started having a seizure and just slipped away. Idk what I'm gonna do now. His corner in our house is so empty. I look over and nothing's there. I'm probably gonna break something today. This sucks

I'm very sorry this happened Booker. What you're going to do today is take steps to change things so this has no chance of happening again in the future. Once is an accident. More than once is not.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
OH, I'm so sorry. Please do what you can to take care of yourself... and your other birds.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
So many accidents. :( Puppy getting your budgie's tale, then her death from your Monty attacking her. Now poor Monty from your cat.

I'm so sorry for all your losses, but please do not be getting any more parrots, at least not until your home becomes bird safe.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
I am so sorry for your loss. As others have said, cats (and dogs) are predatory creatures and those of us who choose to share our homes with cats, dogs AND birds must be EXTREMELY vigilant to ensure that our birds are completely out
of reach of these other animals. With the recent addition of our three budgies, we have had to take extreme precautionary measures to ensure their safety because at least one of our
cats and one of our dogs have tried to get at our birds. It is their animal instinct and our duty to ensure safety all around so all the birds are locked in separate rooms away from our four-legged furry family members. Please let this be a life lesson never to happen again.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It doesn't sound like anything could have been done for your little one, unfortunately. There were probably punctures into the air sacs, which would account for the gurgling/rasping.

I'm sorry this happened again, please take the advice to heart and not bring home more birds until you can truly ensure their safety.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
i am so sorry for your loss

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am currently dealing with my rescued sheltie who has a drive for the birds. I am ensuring that their safety is #1. He is off limits to them, and them vise versa. Before this dog came home they were out and about in the main part of the house with other dogs and cats but have been all harmonious for years. Now, we have a dog that can hurt them if he were able to get to them, even them being large birds, I still cannot risk their lives.

Until there is trust, they are off limits from each other out an about in other parts of the house, other rooms with closed doors from the dog.

I am sorry for your loss but it appears from the above posts you cannot provide a safe environment for your birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Do't break anything - it wasn't that thing's fault, it was your fault. Repeat after me, "cats are predators, birds are prey".

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do't break anything - it wasn't that thing's fault, it was your fault. Repeat after me, "cats are predators, birds are prey".
Yes! No matter how we might not want to think our precious furry ones are harmless, they are not. They just aren't and that is impossible to change. Cats were made to be predators. They are descendants of lions and, yes, they have been domesticated, but that does not mean the prey drive is gone. A small nick from a claw is all is takes. A bite is fatal. Even a nip. Birds are their food. Cats like to hunt and eat. Please keep your cat(s) and birds totally apart.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I'm so sorry, Booker. :sadhug2: