• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (Sad update) Help my Parrot

Bushra

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bushra
Hello ,, I'm new here ,,

English is not my native language but I hope I can write what I want well..

I have 9 cockatiels ,, the youngest form them I named Him "Peanut" ,, he is 3 months old,,

Yesterday I looked in the cage and I found peanut with a broken wing :(

this is the first situation happen to me like that and I have a family that don't listen to me at all ,,

the only thing I could do to him is to put a medical roll on his wing by myself,,

I do not have any experience ,, and yesterday there was no electricity in my city and no internet connection,, so I couldn't see anything on internet to help me,,

my brother took Peanut to a birds expert he know ,, he said to not put that roll and leave him to rest for two weeks,,

I didn't like that because I want to put the roll ,, But I'm not the expert here :(

Today my little Peanut was really tired,, So I told my Family to call a vet ,, the vet came and he checked Peanut ,, But I wasn't allowed to be there :( ,, I told my brother O don't want any injections by Needle ,, but the vet gave him two needles .. My poor Peanut.. and he also gave us some medicines to put it in the food

the vet tried to roll peanut's wing by medical roll but he couldn't because he was moving so hard,,

after the vet went away I rolled his wing again,, he was so tired ,, BUT !! THEN !! Peanut vomited all of the food in his stomach !! I was so scared,, my family told me that my roll is Disturbing him from breathing,, but I'm sure it was not tight ,, so I kept it,,

but after one hour he started to tremble so hard while his mouth is opened,, my family insist to move the roll and get rid of it,, they say he tremble because of it

I moved it but he still tremble so hard in a very scary way

now he is sleeping but breathing so fast,,
I love him so much I don't know what to do and my family are blaming me for everything and they say I don't deserve to have parrots or any kind of pets

I'm so shattered now and I'm crying from hours and no one is saying anything good to me ,, They just angry on me because I cried and they ask me what will I do when he die,, how could they be so harsh on me like that,,

this is peanut's picture from yesterday,,today I couldn't take picture because he looks so awful :( he keep trembling and his mouth is opened and his body is spasm

see the pic from yesterday,, I'm sure that the roll is not so tight

Help me what to do?

harsh
harsh

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
You need to get him to an avian vet asap or get the vet back that your family brought in. I honestly believe that you shouldn't interfere with what the vet says and that your roll should come off..he needs to be able to move and it looks like he cannot..also you are not a professional so your wrappin g is probably causing him some pain. The vet (I hope it is an avian vet) probably gave those injections for pain etc. You really need to sit back, evaluate what your family is telling you and listen to that vet...please call them again. :hug8:@bubblelady @roxynoodle

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Where are you located(USA)?You need to see a avain vet not regular vet your buddy is in pain I bet. Rite off keep him warm . Keep reading people will post to help you out . How did he break his wing was he perching high up and fall? Are you sure it is broken and not bruised? Call the vet and tell then he trhew up ? What meds are you giving him? You should get wing Xrayed to see how serious break is before it heals wrong . Keep us posted
olease..

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!
Peanut sounds like he's having big issues. If you can, would you please tell us where you are located?? We can help you find a vet. :)
What is Peanut eating?? Has he eaten today?? How are his poops?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
@DQTimnehs because I know she has a bird whose had a broken wing.

I would follow the vet's instructions. Some medications do need to be given with needles so try not to worry about that.

Sometimes birds vomit from the medicines or because they are scared.

Is he eating and drinking?

:hug8:

Bushra

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bushra
I don't think I can find what you told

I am in Palestine

the vets here don't have experience in parrots because parrots are not popular here ,, in the city I am the only one that have parrots all of the owners are far from city I don't know anyone

there is no care of pets here and the people that have pets are very few ,,

and no improved clinics or vets are here :( ,,

Peanut today ate some boiled eggs and seeds ,, I don't know the name of it in english but it looks like those pictures

but he vomited it ,, I fed him a little of the parrots baby food that he was eating when he was young ,, I thought it's light on his stomach and he didn't vomit it

his poops still normal in color but it got a little more fluid

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, that makes it a little harder.
Those seeds are not appropriate for a cockatiel to eat as its main diet. Do you have bird pellets in Palestine?

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, I think the roll needs to come off. May I ask why you put it on?

Bushra

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bushra
the vet is not avian vet ,, he is general vet ,, no avian vets here :(

my roll was good and he was moving well but I moved it anyway

.. he can't move or eat or drink ,, I fed him some of parrots baby food and he didn't vomit it ,, but he refused to eat more

Bushra

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bushra
but in all the internet they put these seeds as cockatiel food ,, what should I feed them?

I give them several types of foods ,, help

what is facetime? sorry

but no avian vets in my country all of them are general vets

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
Do you have a webcam? Maybe you could video conference with the vets at the Ontario Veterinary College? Here's a link for their contact page: Contact Us - OVC Health Sciences Centre

You can contact them via email there. They should be able to offer you advice at least. I know the head of the program replaced a very well known avian vet. He's got european zoological qualifications. That's about all I can suggest.

Bushra

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bushra
I moved the roll ,, I put it so the broken wing will not move and hurt more ,, is that wrong?

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
but in all the internet they put these seeds as cockatiel food ,, what should I feed them?

I give them several types of foods ,, help

what is facetime? sorry

but no avian vets in my country all of them are general vets
It is okay, we will help you.
In the US, facetime is a program in which you can video call across the world. Do you have a similar program??
'Teils can eat some seeds, but it souldn't make up their entire diet. :) Do they eat fruits and veggies?
Please try removing the roll.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
That's an excellent idea!
Do you have facetime?
I think we need to get a avain vet involved . I would take wrap off to he needs to move around can he perch ok ? can he/she walk ok ? Is she/he sleepy unsteady she/he might have head injury? How did she/he hurt his/her wing?

Bushra

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bushra
oh I don't have webcam :( ,, but I can take pictures ,, but now it's 2:04am here and he is sleeping

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I think we need to get a avain vet involved . I would take wrap off to he needs to move around can he perch ok ? can he/she walk ok ? Is she/he sleepy unsteady she/he might have head injury? How did she/he hurt his/her wing?
That's why I suggested facetime, because she says she has no vet in Palestine. :)
Good points. :)