• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (sad update #9) Parakeet Flopping!

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
My parakeet was sitting on the bottom of her cage doing nothing! Usually she does this when she is trying to eat the seeds off of the bottom of her cage that she dropped. This time she was on her side. I accidentally scared her and when she tried to get away from me she was limping and one of her legs she couldnt even move. I picked her up and checked her out and her vent is covered in poop. She doesnt seem to have any other problems. No discharge, clear eyes, clean healthy feather. Her breathing seems SLIGHTLY fast but I cant really tell. I dont get much time to be close to her being that she does not like being held. We give her a happy home, feed her, water her and give her plenty of toys. She has been fine. One minute she was just sitting on her perch next minute I look up and shes on the floor with one injured leg. I know she had only been in that position less then 2 hours but other than that I dont know. Please help!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Sounds to me like she might be egg bound. When egg bound their legs often seem injured as the egg is pressing on a nerve. You need to get that bird to an avian vet ASAP.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She could also have suffered a stroke or a seizure. There is nothing we can do except tell you to get her to a vet because we mean it. This is very serious and time is of the essence here.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Vet ASAP

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
The thing is we dont have a 24 hour vet. The soonest we can get her their is tomorrow morning. We live in a tiny town. Even driving to a 24 hour vet would take all night.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
She has been defecating regularly and she doesnt look swollen. She can still fly and sorta perch with her good foot. She has enough calcium and is not overweight. She has never laid or tried to lay an egg before. Does any of that make a difference? :sad5: Please I just dont want her to die or be in pain.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She has been defecating regularly and she doesnt look swollen. She can still fly and sorta perch with her good foot. She has enough calcium and is not overweight. She has never laid or tried to lay an egg before. Does any of that make a difference? :sad5: Please I just dont want her to die or be in pain.

Keep her nice and warm (75-85 degrees), quiet and hydrated and get her to vet at the earliest possible time. Hopefully time will be on your side. :hug8:

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Really? My one has a broken leg and is sick! I'm so sorry. I suggest you take them to the vet so they can splint it, that's what I have to do. :(

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
We decided to try to get her to the vet last night but it was already too late. She died not too long after that post. I am just glad she didnt suffer too long. Egg bound. She had never even laid an egg or tried to lay an egg before but she just couldnt do it. She lived to be about 6 years old. She went through three homes in her lifetime and you know what I regret the most is that I was going to pass her on to a good home mind you but a new home non the less. She bit and I wanted something friendlier. I feel so bad for that. R.I.P My lovely Luna. :sad6: life wont be the same without your little tweets while you ate dinner with us. (She always ate whenever we ate.) We gave her a warm pack under a towel so atleast she was warm.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Very sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
so sorry for your loss
:tiel2: and his mom

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. :(

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
She wasnt in pain too long but she was obviously exhausted she could hardly move but we made her as comfortable as possible her final hours which is all anyone can really do and she had a big clean cage to sleep in and plenty of care and love. Thats all us as owners can really do.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
She wasnt in pain too long but she was obviously exhausted she could hardly move but we made her as comfortable as possible her final hours which is all anyone can really do and she had a big clean cage to sleep in and plenty of care and love. Thats all us as owners can really do.
whle I am very very sorry for your loss and glad you made her comfortable,I disagree with this statement. If she had been brought to an avian vet, she might still be alive.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Matt