• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (sad update #11) Sick parakeet? (not sure if urgent)

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
So I've had my parakeet for three months now, and in the last month he has been sleeping a lot more, not chirping much and his activity has gone down. He doesn't touch his toys hardly. Now I have been in a work placement this past month so I am wondering if it could be depression and he misses me. I try to interact with him more when I am home and he will get some spurts of activity. But for the most part he sleeps with his head tucked into his back. From a visual examination he looks fine. He is still eating and pooping normally. I wonder if this is his personality since he was a quiet bird in the beginning. But not this quiet.

Now something scary though has been happening, since he has been sick he is more easily startled. I came home one day and opened my door and he began to flap around his cage then went to the bottom, laying on his side and his claws all curled up. He'd be in a ball and just lay there. It would last a few minutes and he'd close his eyes and breathe heavily, only to snap out of it. This hasn't happened until recently. Now we have to make ourselves known to him so we don't scare him to death. Could this have any relation to him sleeping so much? I don't want to give him a heart attack.

We plan on buying him a singing parakeet on the weekend to see if having a buddy will help. I don't want to get another bird and am doing everything I can. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? When my work placement is over and if he is still like this, I will take him to a vet. I did buy him from a petsmart in Canada and have seen a thread that the petsmarts in the U.S were having issues with birds.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't get another bird while he may be sick - spend that money instead on taking him to the vet (an avian vet). Or have whoever takes care of him while you're gone take him to an avian vet.

How much time do you spend with him every day? How long does this work placement last?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If a bird guardian notices anything that may be an issue such as a change in behavior the bird should be examined by a medical professional - avian vet. If one waits too long it could be too late.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
I would also hold off on getting him a buddy right now. Birds, by design, try to hide being sick. So him "snapping out of it" may be his way of trying his best to hide anything. Usually when you notice the behavioral changes, it is pretty far progressed. I'd say if you can, make a vet appointment and hopefully its something not serious, like the psittacosis that's been going around the petsmarts here. :hug8:

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
I meant to say singing parakeet toy. Now it won't let me edit my first post. I wouldn't dare getting another bird with him being sick. Plus I don't really want to get another bird.

I am gone for 8 hours during the day and spend my evenings with him. I am still clicker training him so I will do that for a few minutes or take him out and let him perch on me. I do that periodically thought-out the evening. The work placement is until the end of this month, and we would have to wait that time anyways to bring him to the vet, since my mother and I would be off work. However if he got worse in that amount of time I would make it sooner.

Does it sound like depression or something more serious? Should I be spending much more time with him in the evenings? There is only so much I can do since he doesn't really want to play.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Sorry but if he is sick you need to see Avian Vet ASAP . Do Not Wait until you have the time to take him to VET.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Laying in a ball on his side is not normal parakeet behavior. He needs to see a vet ASAP.

A singing toy parakeet wont replace a normal parakeet. After he sees the vet, when/if he regains his health, you should really consider a real parakeet buddy. These birds can live in huge flocks in the wild. A human who i s periodically present can in no way replace another parakeet who has evolved to live in a flock setting. My parakeet's behavior changed significantly after I bought him a buddy. They chase each other around the cage, sleep together, eat together, groom each other. He is so much more active and obviously happy now. They are both still tame and like my company as well.

Shivan

Walking the driveway
The laying on the side with the claws curled up, is absolutely NOT normal budgie behavior, as a matter of fact it sounds like some sort of seizure. I hope you'll be able to find out the problem, and hope its treatable. That bird needs medical attention ASAP. No one wants to ever hear that about the bird they love, but sometimes it's an unavoidable reality.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I had a bird who had a seizure disorder and he did exactly what you describe. He was put on phenobarbitol. His seizures were infrequent at first but got more severe and more frequent over time. After several years, he would have a seizure every time he was startled. Finally, he had to be moved into an aquarium because he would get his wings caught between the bars during a seizure. I am not trying to scare you, but to stress that you really do need to take him to a Certified Avian Veterinarian. Treatment is available.

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
He only seems to curl up into a ball if he is startled really bad. They have only happened maybe 3-4 times in the past two weeks. One was from a vacuum that he didn't show he was scared of before, another was when he opened my door from coming home from work. The other time was when he was disturbed during the early morning, his cage was still covered up since it was dark. Besides that he hasn't had them. I assumed they were from him being frightened, especially if he's sick.

I will bring him to a vet as soon as I can. I am so worried. :(

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
Yesterday Jimmy took a turn for the worse. The whole day he was laying on me and curling up on my neck, which was very cute but unusual. Near the evening he looked at me funny. His head was to the side and and his feet were splayed. His head twitched every few seconds as he remained still on my hand. His eye blinking as he just looked off into the distance. We managed to get him into an emergency vet. They said that it could be a viral or bacterial infection and with the heat it got worse. If it were viral then nothing could be done, if bacterial then it could be treated. But it was neurological. The vet said he had a 20% chance of surviving. We took him home with antibiotics in hopes that he would live. Sadly my little guy did not. He died in my hands, his body shaking violently. I only had him for 3 months and am taking his death hard. I miss him so much. He was my very first bird.

Rest In Peace my little man.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm deeply sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
The vet also said it could be due to a deficiency in vitamin A. He was on a seed diet and I was trying to convert him to pellets. I crushed up some and would offer it to him along with the seed. I did get the Prime supplement and put some on veggies for him. However the past few weeks he had not shown interest in veggies and just liked to sleep a lot. We thought it could be depression or the heat. I will always wonder if it could have been treated sooner. I asked the vet that question and he shook his head. But I will always wonder. I did so much for him and wished I could have helped him more. I did everything that I could, but for some reason I will always wonder if I could do more. At least he can rest now.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry for your loss.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran