• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sad news and Happy news

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of Miss Piggy..but so happy that you were able to get back two of her kittens..what a lovely tribute to her and I bet they were glad to get back too...Your Jack sounds like such a wonderful man to even think of that..to go back and get those kitties..makes me shed a tear..they will have a wonderful life with you.:hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks Heidrun. We are feeding them canned cat food in various brands. The chicken is just a treat. We actually ran into a canned catfood that had no taurine and other cat essential nutrients! They also eat dry kitten chow. Thanks so much for the warning, it might help others who read it too . Editing: that was hard to read on my cell. Hope your cats have a long and healthy life !:hug8:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
So sorry about Miss Piggy. :( Happy Jack was able to get the other 2 kittens back :) I bet they were happy to see him also.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ohhhh....I'm so sorry to hear about Miss Piggy but sending a big Awwwww and smiles for the new babies. They are beautiful! Glad your OH is doing his best to adjust. That would be me, would have to go right out and get another so the ole' heart stays warm.
:hug8::hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of Miss Piggy..but so happy that you were able to get back two of her kittens..what a lovely tribute to her and I bet they were glad to get back too...Your Jack sounds like such a wonderful man to even think of that..to go back and get those kitties..makes me shed a tear..they will have a wonderful life with you.:hug8:
thank you Anne. He was so terribly heartbroken I was worried for him :(. Now he has these two of his own to love. Misty is a mostly a one person (me) cat, and though he likes and plays with Big Scooter he is afraid to touch him after getting nipped once :)

So sorry about Miss Piggy. :( Happy Jack was able to get the other 2 kittens back :) I bet they were happy to see him also.
Thank you Cecilia :hug8:He says they remember him! It's only been a month since they left. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sarojie stopped offering chicken breast because she was grossed out by touching it raw.:lol:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sarojie stopped offering chicken breast because she was grossed out by touching it raw.:lol:
The rotisserie grilled chicken is so much more civilized!:D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

The rotisserie grilled chicken is so much more civilized!:D
:lol: You sure have a way with words. I want to see more photos of catman's babies please!:)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ohhhh....I'm so sorry to hear about Miss Piggy but sending a big Awwwww and smiles for the new babies. They are beautiful! Glad your OH is doing his best to adjust. That would be me, would have to go right out and get another so the ole' heart stays warm.
:hug8::hug8:
:heart:
:heart::heart:thanks Marie! It was very reassuring to see how the thought of her babies picked up his spirits.:)

I like how you put it -- ole heart stays warm :heart:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

:lol: You sure have a way with words. I want to see more photos of catman's babies please!:)
I'm not home yet. I think the three of them might be snoozing :lol:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I'm sorry about Miss Piggy but am happy he got Tiny back! :)

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Thanks Heidrun. We are feeding them canned cat food in various brands. The chicken is just a treat. We actually ran into a canned catfood that had no taurine and other cat essential nutrients! They also eat dry kitten chow. Thanks so much for the warning, it might help others who read it too . Editing: that was hard to read on my cell. Hope your cats have a long and healthy life !:hug8:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so very sorry about Miss Piggy. The kittens are very sweet. Matt

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Just seeing this, so sorry about Miss Piggy but happy for the kittens and that they are able to cheer up your hubby. They are adorable:heart::heart:

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I'm so terribly sorry for the loss of Miss Piggy. :sad1: Rest in peace, Kitty Mom.

I'm glad Jack has these two to remember her by and help heal his heart. :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
So sorry to hear about Miss Piggy :sadhug: but how wonderful that you ended up giving a couple of her babies a home

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry about Miss Piggy :(
How wonderful that Jack is able to have a part of her back in the form her two rambunctious kittens :heart::heart::heart:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am so sorry to hear about poor Miss Piggy, and overjoyed to har about the two kittens coming home again. The only way to have long lived cats is to have them live almost exclusively indoors. Average expectancy of an outdoor feral is four to five years; for an indoor cat it is fifteen years. Not only is there the problem with accidents and diseases for the outdoors, there is the problem with nutrition and clean water. So many cats drink water with chemical runoffs in it, specifically, antifreeze, and die of liver and kidney failure at a young age. With Miss Piggy, she was lucky it was a garage door that killed her and she did not have to deal with failing organs and the pain they cause over a one or two year period it takes the cats to die from the disease. I know I sound callous about this, but this is reality when it comes to ferals not living in a managed colony. I am so very sorry for Miss Piggy's death, but it is such a lucky happenstance for those two kittens and your OH and you, too, Saroj.

I belong to a cat forum as well as the two parrot forums I am on. One of the really big changes that are occurring in cat husbandry is the feeding of a supplemented totally raw diet. Companies raise food specifically for carnivorous or omnivorous pets (mice, rats, rabbits, beef, pork, chicken, goats, etc) and then slaughter the animals humanely and ground up the whole carcasses (minus skin, hair, feathers, beaks, horns, hooves) and freeze the grind in one to five pound packages. They then sell the frozen food packs to pet owners and provide a supplemental package of essential vitamins, proteins (taurine) and probiotics to mix with the unthawed food before it is served. It is currently a new fad in the keeping of pets, but it seems to be completely balanced and holistic vets are enbracing the concept wholeheartedly.

For a while, I was feeding my elderly hyperthyroid cat frozen chicken supplemented by the probiotics, taurine and vitamin pack. ApacheCat did great on the frozen chicken and loved the food. But now she has gotten too weak to chew the food (it is ground, but not small enough to just be licked up with a tongue). I think Apache has only a week or two left on her life; she is 17 years old and I was told she would not live longer than 12 years since she cannot take the meds needed to treat hyperthyroid syndrome.

Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums is the cat forum I frequent and one of the better ones on the internet. I no longer have the address of the whole foods company I was using for the ground chicken I was giving Apache. A search for whole raw diet for cats will get you company's names if you want them. I also noticed Wag.com also offers raw diet for pets as well.

Do enjoy your kittens, it must be so satisfying to have them back, especially little Tiny! I don't think your older cat will be too upset with the kittens around; I think your cat was more upset a pregnant female cat was trying to horn in on the resident cat's resources: your cat has to defend her own territory and food supply, you know. Your cat will be able to rule over the kittens easily since she is an older female and they will accept her as the queen of the cat pride after a few yowlings and spats. The fights will not be drag out and be knock down blood letting things, just verbal fights. You will see. Male cats, no matter how young, will not risk alienating a potential female mate (even if the female is spayed) by starting a fight with them. The boys will back down and bide their time....

Last edited: