• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sad betta news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooke

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brooke
So my Betta fish of one year passed today, I knew it would be soon, he was growing thin and not eating as much. I saved him from a horrible, rotten, container on the shelf at Petsmart, and gave him a glorious life in a 20 gallon fish tank. Now that his time has passed, i'm off to save another! But this time, I think i'll try Walmart.

But I need y'alls opinions!! Should I purchase one from a large chain like Walmart or Petsmart? Would buying one be contributing to more sad lives for fish's homes in the future? I don't want to contribute, but I would like to take one of those fish and give it a great new life!! What would y'all do?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well, betta in general are a popular fish, and they will not stop breeding them anytime soon. I also am going to go ahead and say that fish breeding is not nearly the problem it is for other pets we keep. A lot die needlessly, yes, but there are a lot less "homeless fish" waiting for homes out there ;)

Most of those stores, regardless of where you go, are going to likely have the same source, so it doesn't really matter where you go. And, it is much better to breed them than to go fish them up like they used to!! Although you probably would be shocked at how undecorated the wild bettas are in comparison to what we have available now.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Sorry for your loss! Whenever I see those fish at petsmart I always feel really really bad for them. I also thought about getting one to save it's life. But it is kind of a catch 22. While you save one, another is going to take it's place anyway but if you don't who knows what is going to happen to the poor guy. Supporting a better fish store that treats their fish right is probably the better thing to do but I can understand where you're coming from, it's so very hard to see those guys in tiny little cups :(

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
My little Hurricane Blue Betta came from Walmart. He was just sitting there in one of those awful tiny cups and there had just been a big shipment of his buddies come in. Blue did great for 4 years in a little 5 gal tank. I think you should go ahead and rescue one of these little guys. Give one a chance at a good life.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so sor ry for yo ur loss

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I'm sorry for the loss of your Betta. I have had them throughout the years and really love them.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
So sorry:hug8:

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
By "rescuing" another cup betta you're just giving the store profits and giving them reason to buy more.

I would go to aquabid.com and buy one from a breeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.