• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

S373 Python Ban-- pls read even if you don't keep snakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Okay, so this still has to go up in Congress, right?
Yes. My friend, Adam Wysocki who runs NO HR 669 is putting up a new site for our next steps, and I'll be sure to provide that link once he has that up. In the meantime, you can check out this site he recently launched:

The National Pet Association:
The National Pet Association - NatPET

This site will "officially" launch in January 2010, so there are areas of the site that still need content.

Adam has been spending every single day in the halls of Washington meeting with Senators and Representative. He's authoring a new bill right now that may actually help in the future. A "rating" system that is required for all reptiles in pet stores and when purchasing online. Similar to movie ratings, this will rate an animal like a burm or retic so that someone new to reptiles with no experience with any reptile will see that it's a "Z" rating for instance - not for an inexperienced keeper, can be invasive in certain locals, etc.

Lots of exciting things, and Adam is advocating for the pet owner, not the reptile breeder, although the reptile breeder will benefit from his efforts, but his strategy brings it to a level that the lawmaker's understand and the implications that they had not thought of before.

If this bill becomes a law, for example, a pet owner who owns a single boa, and let's say that they are a contractor, and are offered a job out of state - they will not be able to accept that job and take their pet boa with them, without commiting a violation of the Lacey Act - a felony.

If they have a loved one who lives out of state who needs their long term care - they can't bring their pet with them - they have a choice to destroy that animal, find a rescue (there aren't that many) and some may choose to set it loose rather than euthanize it and hope that it survives.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
.......and some may choose to set it loose rather than euthanize it and hope that it survives.
Sounds to me like the perfect argument NOT to pass the bill. Someone should point this out to them, that if they make it illegal to take these animals over state lines and someone must move that they are just increasing the chances of what they are trying to prevent (release of nonnative wildlife) in the first place.

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
UPDATE: S373 Python Ban

Today the Senate Committee on the Environment & Public Works (EPW) held a business meeting on S. 373. Committee Chair Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Ranking Member Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) presided. After brief statements the committee held a mark up session on S. 373, to amend title 18, United States Code, to add constrictor snakes of the species Python genera to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. Senator Inhofe expressed concerns about the bill. Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) offered an amendment to limit the scope of the bill to only the 9 snakes addressed in the USGS report on large constrictors. Senator Cardin further agreed to work with Senator Inhofe to improve the bill prior to a vote on the Senate floor. The amendment was passed by voice vote. S373 was then voted out of Committee by voice vote with Senator Inhofe registering a NO vote.

S373 has now passed committee. It can not become law until it is voted on and passed by the full Senate and House of Representatives. There is still much work to be done prior to the Python Ban becoming law. S373 in its current form in unacceptable to USARK and the Reptile Nation. We will continue to work with Senator Inhofe, Senator Cardin and the EPW Committee Staff to shape the future of this bill. Please make an appointment to visit with your Senator and express your concerns with S373. Everyone needs to step up and make contact with your Senator. Let USARK know about your meeting. It is time to step up our game and show Washington we are serious about this. Continue the good fight. The Reptile Nation thanks Senator Inhofe for his even handed treatment of our industry.

Following is the statement of Ranking Member James Inhofe (R-OK):

Regarding S. 373, which is designed to ban the import and export of certain constrictor snakes, I believe we need to follow the process already established, which allows stakeholders to have input. Commonsense reforms are needed to prevent the proliferation, importation or breeding of species that would be harmful to ecosystems or human health and safety. We are setting a dangerous precedent of continuing to address these species outside of normal agency channels. Although I will not be offering an amendment today, I will support efforts on the floor to mitigate the negative effects to those snake owners and breeders who legally acquired their snakes, but through no fault of their own now find that their property is worth nothing.

S373 has been amended to include ONLY:

Python molurus
Broghammeras reticulatus
Python sebae
Python natalensis
Boa constrictor
Eunectes notaeus
Eunectes deschauenseei
Eunectes murinus
Eunectes beniensis

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Sounds to me like the perfect argument NOT to pass the bill. Someone should point this out to them, that if they make it illegal to take these animals over state lines and someone must move that they are just increasing the chances of what they are trying to prevent (release of nonnative wildlife) in the first place.
A law like this was passed in Florida banning Red-earred sliders. Even rescues cannot take them. I have a friend that works for a Florida rescue who has had people try to drop off their turtle because they can no longer keep it and when she could not take it they said flat out "Then we're releasing him because I can't have him killed."

I simply cannot imagine if Tara and I had to move to Virginia or Pennsylvania, how we would feel if we had to choose between becoming felons or having our beautiful snakes killed.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
That is really good info. I am going to draft letters to our Senators this week and I am going to use some of those points. THanks!

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
This bill just makes my head hurt. It will not solve the problem of the snakes in the wild, they are already there. If it passes, those who are afraid of consequenses may release thier snakes to the wild to comply with the law. And what of other non native feral creatures? A feral dog can be dangerous, feral cats carry disease. Feral cats have killed so many songbirds. Why can they just not address the snakes in the wild?
I agree, the man who kept his snake secure with a blanket is a moron, but we should not pay for his mistake. Pet stores should take more responsibility in who they sell what animal to.
I had the sweetest, most gentle red tailed boa. She died a few months ago, day before my birthday, at an age of 15. My friend has an 18 foot burmese, puppy dog tame. HOWEVER, tame as though they are, or can be, they are highly efficient predatory animals, and average joe is not qualified for thier care. Those of us who educate ourselves should not have to suffer those who dont.
I had other points but have forgot them.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The only part of the original post I disagree with is that HSUS is gunning for the entire non-traditional pet arena. Their long term goals are just like PETA's- to ban ALL pet keeping (or 'enslavement' as they view it) of all species, right up to and including the domestic dog and cat.
Is there something written somewhere that says this? I am having a disagreement with a friend who supports PETA, and does not believe this.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It's hard to find reliable info, just because everywhere has a bias... petakillsanimals.com has lots of things, but I would be careful because I'd guess they're just as biased as peta itself is. Try looking up and researching the difference between animal rights organizations (HSUS, PETA) and animal welfare orgs (local humane societies, most animal rescues and sanctuaries) for the best understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.