• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

rubbing his vent area

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Hi. kiki has 2 parallel perches about 1 inch apart. He stands on one and has been rubbing his rump like crazy on the other. He has been doing this like 10 times a day. When he's done he bangs his beak. Is this hormonal behavior. Is there anything I should do or just let nature take its place. He has been going to sleep later because it gets dark later. Should i buy blackout shades. I don't cover the cage because he panics and hates it. But he gets privacy and quiet by 7:00. And no one comes in the room till after 7:00 am.

I also notices about a couple weeks ago he stopped whistling and talking. Now he just make the occasional little screech when someone walks out of the room. Any idea why has he stopped whistling?
THANKS everyone for all your great input on this site!!!

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Yup, definitely hormonal behavior. He's, uh, fulfilling his "needs" on the perch. I wouldn't be surprised if this is also causing him to change his vocalizations

Give him 12 hours of darkness at night to sleep, and it may bump him out of breeding mode.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, it sounds hormonal to me too. I would get those black out shades!

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Thanks. I feel sorry for the poor guy. I wish I could get him a girlfriend but I'm not up for dealing with eggs or vet bills... Plus I don't feel I'm experienced enough to figure out how to curb the urge...replacing eggs. Thanks again. I'll get the shades tomorrow!!!