• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rubbing alcohol

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:dishes: I just washed the beautiful, custom "Fill It Up" stainless steel toy base we got from from Blu's Bird Toys. I've dried it as much as I can but I want to make sure it's completely dry under all of the moving pieces. I think rubbing alcohol would help, but would it leave any kind of unsafe residue that would have to be rinsed off anyway making it useless for this purpose? Would there be any other drawbacks to using rubbing alcohol on stainless or any other toy?
:think1:

20190824_191929.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Rubbing alcohol is what I think all the vendors on the forum use to dye toys :) One reason is because when it dries and evaporates, it leaves behind nothing except whatever it was mixed with (in my case, the dye).

I don't know about the specifics of rubbing alcohol on the stainless steel though! This article makes it seem like it is an approved cleaner for stainless steel Stainless Steel Cleaning | Metal Casting Resources

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thanks! I thought about its use in dyeing wood, but wasn't sure if there was a step I didn't know about, or maybe the dye neutralizes something. I don't know. Best to ask those who do! :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rubbing alcohol is what I think all the vendors on the forum use to dye toys :) One reason is because when it dries and evaporates, it leaves behind nothing except whatever it was mixed with (in my case, the dye).

I don't know about the specifics of rubbing alcohol on the stainless steel though! This article makes it seem like it is an approved cleaner for stainless steel Stainless Steel Cleaning | Metal Casting Resources

Yea, this is what I understand also.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I just wonder why it is so important that the toy is completely dry?

But yes alcohol is safe. That is the only thing I use. 75% alcohol kills a lot. :D
I first clean it. Spray with alcohol, and soak with water after some minutes.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

But yes alcohol is safe. That is the only thing I use. 75% alcohol kills a lot. :D
I first clean it. Spray with alcohol, and soak with water after some minutes.

& I believe the RA, I use to dye w/ is 91% or 90 something...

Buddy won't play w/ a wet toy, throws it on the ground (frm his water dish)...

These toys, I'll re-dye a darker color if the dish was gently dirty w/ a food item. Not a stew...

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
some of the pieces are very snug and I don't know how long it might take them to dry, such as between the bolts and nuts. I've dried the bolt, turned the nuts down a bit, dried again & repeated but I worry that if it stays wet too long, even stainless can rust. And these are too special to take chances with. :pinksmile:

Then I also started to wonder if it might be a good way to rinse Luv Bug's beads and toy parts that have tiny holes. Both to kill any germs I might have missed and to also help the small holes and spaces dry out so nothing icky grows in them. When I wash them my counter is covered with towels covered in individually placed beads at least overnight til I know they're dry before I put them away. :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
some of the pieces are very snug and I don't know how long it might take them to dry, such as between the bolts and nuts. I've dried the bolt, turned the nuts down a bit, dried again & repeated but I worry that if it stays wet too long, even stainless can rust. And these are too special to take chances with. :pinksmile:

Then I also started to wonder if it might be a good way to rinse Luv Bug's beads and toy parts that have tiny holes. Both to kill any germs I might have missed and to also help the small holes and spaces dry out so nothing icky grows in them. When I wash them my counter is covered with towels covered in individually placed beads at least overnight til I know they're dry before I put them away. :)

It's possible to see what recommendations Jan has, if you worried about rust. I've see running things like this thru the dishwasher but I understand the specialness of your item & those metal type of beads.

As for the plastic beads I thunk its fine to do what your saying, depending on the poreousness of the plastic. Acrylic, yes indead. But there's nothing stopping just spraying them w/ vinegar & water on the plastics is there? Or are you saying a good heavy disinfecting. Yes, Id just plop them in a bowl, & dip them. Just watch if you have fake nails or coatings in your nails. I know they can dry them out & cause breakage down the road in the near future.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Oven???

Couldn't you put it in there?

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's a super cool bird toy! Wow!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oven??? Couldn't you put it in there?
I thought of that, but can't because of the bead. But that would be an awesome way with a fully stainless toy. :yes:

Blow dryer??
Perfect! That never would have occurred to me 'cause we don't use them ourselves, but we did buy one for the birds last winter. :)Duh! :facepalm:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I thought of that, but can't because of the bead. But that would be an awesome way with a fully stainless toy. :yes:

Perfect! That never would have occurred to me 'cause we don't use them ourselves, but we did buy one for the birds last winter. :)Duh! :facepalm:
I hope it works well! The heat should be enough to warm the metal and dry any hidden spots. :D

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I've dried the bolt, turned the nuts down a bit, dried again & repeated but I worry that if it stays wet too long, even stainless can rust. And these are too special to take chances with. :pinksmile:
It will not rust because of the water, but because of the high level iron in your tap water. Do you have that?
If not, they will not rust. If you have that or don't know, buy distilled water and spray with as a last rinse when it's clean.
And their is several quality of SS. If it's a good quality it will never rust. (good quality is high levels of chromium, nickel and molybdenum and low levels of coal)
Oven???

Couldn't you put it in there?
No. To much heat is not good, that can make the SS rust.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
It will not rust because of the water, but because of the high level iron in your tap water. Do you have that?
If not, they will not rust. If you have that or don't know, buy distilled water and spray with as a last rinse when it's clean.
And their is several quality of SS. If it's a good quality it will never rust. (good quality is high levels of chromium, nickel and molybdenum and low levels of coal)

No. To much heat is not good, that can make the SS rust.
I was thinking a warming temperature, low. Didn't know that stainless would rust from heat though.