• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roxie Pupdates #4 (scary times)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So Roxie has turned 6 months, which means it's time for her to get spayed. She's going in on Monday, today they did some bloodwork to make sure everything will be fine. She'll also be getting a microchip while she's under.

What scares me is this- she has these two bumps on one of her elbows. I had the vet look at them today, and he says he'll remove them while she's under, and then they'll send them out for a biopsy. I really hope they're benign, she's so young to have something awful...

Good thoughts are appreciated. I'm trying to make the most out of every moment with her, I hope she knows how much she's loved.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She absolutely knows she's loved. :heart2: I hope the vet gives her the all clear. :bluhug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping all goes well with Roxie and that the bumps are nothing serious.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Sending hugs for Roxie
:hug8:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Tomorrow is the day. Ugh. My stomach is in knots.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She'll be fine. You might need some chamomile tea or something though. ;) You'll both get through this. :heart2:

Last edited:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fingers crossed! :hug8:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Thank for the good wishes. From what I've read, the chance of death while a dog is under anesthesia is fairly low. Apparently, most deaths occur during recovery from anesthesia. So that has me feeling better. But I'm more worried about what that thing on her elbow could be. She's so young, there's so much she has yet to experience.

We've taken all her food and water, she can't have anything from 8pm tonight (so almost 2 hours ago) until after she comes home tomorrow. We're taking her in 7:30, so they can do all the stuff they need to do to prep for surgery.

I'm just glad that Roxie is in good hands. Her vet is very experienced, he's practiced for many years and he was Tink's vet as well. He's good at what he does. And all the staff are so kind and understanding, they all love Roxie and she loves them all too.

I think it's probably gonna be a lot harder for me than it will be for Roxie, lol. She's never been away from us for more than a few hours, but she is used to crates so she should be relatively okay.

Ahhhhh I'm overthinking everything now. Whoo boy I'll update tomorrow.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We dropped off Roxie at the vet at 7:30 this morning. She seemed very happy to go with them. They said they'd give a call when she's out of surgery, and they'll let us know when we can come get her.

So they'll spay her, chip her, remove the thing on her elbow, and clip her nails. Also if she has any baby teeth hanging around that are sharing space with an adult tooth (apparently they can fall out and cause problems later.) And if there are any they'll let me keep them, which is cool.

So by 4 or 5 tonight she should be back home. Hopefully sooner. I feel like a parent who just sent their baby to kindergarten, I'm a wreck, lol

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Good news! I'm glad Roxie is doing well. She's going to be so excited to see y'all.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We're leaving to go get her in 15 minutes. They'll give us instructions on caring for her and stuff, discharge info basically.

I'm slightly scared that the biopsy will come back as malignant. She's so young... They say it's gonna take 1-2 weeks to come back. ugh.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Roxie is home!!! She's very sleepy, lol. The vet says he has a feeling the thing on her elbow wasn't anything bad, but we sent it out for biopsy anyway. It feels sooo good to have her back!!!

Bonus Content! Roxie in a hat, from a few days ago. The clearance bin at petsmart is a dangerous thing, lol!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:swoon: So glad she is home and okay. And fashionable, too!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Ugh.

So last night we noticed that the large bump we thought they removed was still there. (there were two, a big one and a small one. They took the small one, we wanted them to remove the big one)

Today we took her in. The vet didn't even come out to talk to us, he just sent a nurse. He says now he feels it but didn't before (the stitches go right across it for Christ's sake!!). So he says if we want it removed, we have to wait for her arm to heal and then they'll slice her open again and take it out. So that's 2 weeks from now, and then she'd be down and out for another 2 weeks. And we'd hay to pay AGAIN. The vet says he'll talk to the manager (what is this, Walmart?) and see if he can cut us a deal so we have to pay less.

I don't want to sound rude but we are mad as all get out. The amount of incompetence is ridiculous. The mass was there, the stitches went right over it, you can see it from the outside, and he didn't know it was there? REALLY? I haven't even finished highschool and I know it's there!

I think after this ordeal is over we'll be changing vets. I think we'll be going to Chirp and Fuzzgig's vet.

God I'm ticked. If this thing turns out to be bad... :atomic::madwife::extremeanger:

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I would speak to the manager personally; if it is a chain, go as high as you are able & enlist us here if you need help getting their info. Calmly explain that you will not be paying for the vet's oversight and if they insist that you pay again anyway make it clear that the money will be going to another practice -for the rest of your dog's life. Any "deal" is not a deal; this is part of the procedure you already paid for and you were clear that there were two lumps; had the vet even checked it would not have been missed. It is not your fault the vet was not paying attention to paying customers. Not wise.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would speak to the manager personally; if it is a chain, go as high as you are able & enlist us here if you need help getting their info. Calmly explain that you will not be paying for the vet's oversight and if they insist that you pay again anyway make it clear that the money will be going to another practice -for the rest of your dog's life. Any "deal" is not a deal; this is part of the procedure you already paid for and you were clear that there were two lumps; had the vet even checked it would not have been missed. It is not your fault the vet was not paying attention to paying customers. Not wise.
It's not a chain, although I don't know who the manager is. We feel taken advantage of. But what makes us even angrier is that Roxie is going to have to go through the healing for this and then yet another surgery, and even then, it could come back as something awful (like cancer).

I cry for Roxie. I can't imagine what she must be feeling right now.

Here is here elbow, all stitched up. Can't you see the bump at the start of her stitches? They said they didn't even see it while they were prepping her (they even shaved part of her elbow and still supposedly couldn't see it). But they felt it today. Hm, now isn't that interesting? :shifty:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Poor baby. It is pretty big. If it comes back benign will it still need to be removed?