• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rough day with the Reef tank....

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
It was 7:30 am and I wake up to this horrible noise. I walk out of my bedroom and there is water soaking the floor! :eek: Our reef tank is in our kitchen and our bedroom is right next to it so the water just made it's way and the carpet started soaking it up. The noise was the worst sucking sound ever and when I realized the severity of it all, I just wanted to scream! Our kitchen is big and more than half of it was covered in water. My husband had to rush home from work to figure everything out and make sure the condition was stable....he realized our refugium cracked all the way from one bottom corner to the opposite top corner. 35 gallons on our floor.....

Could it have been worse? Definitely! All our fish and corals are fine and the actual tank is fine. We just have to get a new refugium (sump with sand and algae) tonight and move the sand, algae, and little critters that were in there.

All this excitement and adrenaline rushes today....we will sleep good tonight! ;)

Anyone else with :omg:tank moments?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Sorry about your troubles! :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Anyone else with :omg:tank moments?
Too many to recall them all. I am so glad all the critters are ok. I would get the carpets done pronto too. It is going to start smelling. What a bummer.
Glad too it wasn't the main tank.:hug8:

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
One thing I do notice....it's quiet! You never realize how loud tanks are until they are off. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip about the carpet! Thankfully, the carpet only got soaked about a foot into the bedroom and the rest was tile that got wet. There are too many positives to count this time....

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
There is sub flooring too. You want to make sure it is not in any of that. I know about the silence..it's amazing. Do you have a built in overflow and a durso standpipe?

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yikes! I really want a nano reef tank but all of the things that can go wrong, combined with the major expense of replacing or fixing those things, keeps me from getting one. Someday! Do you have any pics of your tank to share? :)

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Yep!

We want to go bigger...definitely bigger than 120. The one we have now is a bow front and with the overflow there just isn't enough room. I have been taking pictures to try and get some good ones to post the past few weeks. I guess I always find something wrong with every picture. Fish blurred there or the reflections on the glass...oh well!