• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rip mango

kadie

Meeting neighbors
Such a sad day yesterday poor mango had been fighting with a wee sore on his chest 4 vet visits 1 vet hospital through the night then back to vet again yesterday to be stitched up vet opened him up a wee bit further to investigate junk/puss, to find there was a big hole from his colon up into his body a protruding abdominal injury.
He said the chest injury was not related to it but was a poorly wee birdy so was time for him to close his eyes for good.

Sleep tight our cheeky wee mango tango!

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness,I'm so sorry for your loss. I loved hearing about Mango and the progress he was making. Fly high and sweet handsome boy.

kadie

Meeting neighbors
I know such a shock he was doing so well. His progress was amazing to see and the happiness he brought me amd my son is beyond what we could have hoped for. He had an odd out of season moult and he flew into my kitchen glass door which caused a tiny bleed/sore on his chest which i took him straight to the bet about they glued it amd gave him anti biotics amd manuka honey heeling cream but i think he liked the taste of it and the glue was annoying him as in the morning it was off and bleeding again which made the wee hole slightly bigger. But fortunatly he had the wound i guess as we wouldnt have known about the internal illness and he would have been suffering with that. Not dure what caused the internal hole etc as i didnt have him too long. But tbh im so glad i took him from the previous owner as he was just so miserable amd not looked after very well tbh so at least he had a few months of proper love and care his progress certainly showed us he was happy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m sorry for your loss.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:sorrow: So sorry for your loss

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Sorry I may have missed it how did mango get a sore on his chest ? Sorry if you posted before

kadie

Meeting neighbors
Sorry I may have missed it how did mango get a sore on his chest ? Sorry if you posted before
No no i didnt post about it..so he was having an odd out of season moult which now explains why coz he was poorly. So he had lost lots of his tail feathers he hadnt been flying about much but he took off and went straight for the glass door and i think his breast bone pierced his skin just with the impact. His balance with flight was definatley odd that day so i took him to the vet they glued it amd gave manuka honey heeling cream and anti biotics. But i think mango liked the taste of rhe honey through the night amd he was bleeding again amd took the glue off making the hole bigger and bigger. The vet persisted with gluing and didnt have anything to cover it over etc. I watched him like a hawk literally and was on cage rest or out on my hand next to his cage etc so he couldnt take off to hurt himself further. But as just before i went to check on him through the night again he had bust it open really bad blood dripping from him so i rushed him to the overnight hospital they flushed the wound gave him strong pain killer and said at this point he is comfortable no pain take him home to rest and go to vet first thing because no matter what we do we will be double the price i also stated i didnt care about the price i dont want him in pain or suffering. So vet 8am he said he is so alert like nothing wrong with him i dont want to put him down for a tiny wound if i can try and fix him if u r willing i said yes obviously i said to him that there was a black like puss to make sure there was no more there before he stitched him internally. So while he was looking he spotted some amd wanted to see where it was coming from further down at his colon there was a bigger hole and going up into his abdomen and the puss had the escape route of the small wound so it protruded oht from there. So in a way im flas they recommended to wait for my own vet as if they had closed him up we would have never known how poorly he actually was so the vet said best thing for him is to pop him off to sleep now with no pain.. i did everything i could for the wound but vet said even if we fixed that he would have still died just a matter of time the wound was just unfortunate he doesnt even think that the flying into the door would have caused tue damage it did if he hadnt had the internal problem. He thinks it was caused by a much earlier injury which i was never told about there was no signs of even a scab or anything to indicate to me there was ever an issue before so either the previous owned didnt know or kept this from me knowing the problem he had which if she did is jist awful to have a bird suffer to make a quick buck selling him on. The way he came to me very neglected petrified of hands didnt play with anything etc. So im glad i took him for him to see what love was and to show him hands r nothing to be scared of either he knew what love was in the end giving me kisses and trying to tongue me lol and holding my finger be4 the vet took him away to give him his op.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m just so sorry! Fly high, sweet Mango! :sorrow:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This sounds like the dogs might have gotten a hold of him . With a minor wound that was missed at the time . Explaining both the tail feathers loss and rapid decline. It's highly unlikely he came to you with this already.

I'm sorry to be blunt , at a time you are grieving the loss of your beautiful friend .

But because you might get parrot again, and for all who read. The previous thread showing dogs and bird, are usually flagged and removed. Birds and dogs should not be encouraged to interact. Even the sweetest dogs. Dogs and cats carry bacteria in their mouths that is deadly to birds , even from minor flesh scratch , minor puncture are easy to miss, the skin can close fast .

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
No no i didnt post about it..so he was having an odd out of season moult which now explains why coz he was poorly. So he had lost lots of his tail feathers he hadnt been flying about much but he took off and went straight for the glass door and i think his breast bone pierced his skin just with the impact. His balance with flight was definatley odd that day so i took him to the vet they glued it amd gave manuka honey heeling cream and anti biotics. But i think mango liked the taste of rhe honey through the night amd he was bleeding again amd took the glue off making the hole bigger and bigger. The vet persisted with gluing and didnt have anything to cover it over etc. I watched him like a hawk literally and was on cage rest or out on my hand next to his cage etc so he couldnt take off to hurt himself further. But as just before i went to check on him through the night again he had bust it open really bad blood dripping from him so i rushed him to the overnight hospital they flushed the wound gave him strong pain killer and said at this point he is comfortable no pain take him home to rest and go to vet first thing because no matter what we do we will be double the price i also stated i didnt care about the price i dont want him in pain or suffering. So vet 8am he said he is so alert like nothing wrong with him i dont want to put him down for a tiny wound if i can try and fix him if u r willing i said yes obviously i said to him that there was a black like puss to make sure there was no more there before he stitched him internally. So while he was looking he spotted some amd wanted to see where it was coming from further down at his colon there was a bigger hole and going up into his abdomen and the puss had the escape route of the small wound so it protruded oht from there. So in a way im flas they recommended to wait for my own vet as if they had closed him up we would have never known how poorly he actually was so the vet said best thing for him is to pop him off to sleep now with no pain.. i did everything i could for the wound but vet said even if we fixed that he would have still died just a matter of time the wound was just unfortunate he doesnt even think that the flying into the door would have caused tue damage it did if he hadnt had the internal problem. He thinks it was caused by a much earlier injury which i was never told about there was no signs of even a scab or anything to indicate to me there was ever an issue before so either the previous owned didnt know or kept this from me knowing the problem he had which if she did is jist awful to have a bird suffer to make a quick buck selling him on. The way he came to me very neglected petrified of hands didnt play with anything etc. So im glad i took him for him to see what love was and to show him hands r nothing to be scared of either he knew what love was in the end giving me kisses and trying to tongue me lol and holding my finger be4 the vet took him away to give him his op.
I am sorry mango went through all this and sorry you had to make decisions to say bye windows are a scary thing

kadie

Meeting neighbors
I am sorry mango went through all this and sorry you had to make decisions to say bye windows are a scary thing
I usually have the blinds shut but i had just took the dogs back in amd my son took mango out but he flew toward me instead. The vet said normally it probably wouldnt have even opened up with a small knock but because if the internal issues going on he think thats why it opened up. Amd because they glued it several times it would have been restricting his movements so he just bit it of when he knew he could at bed time. These things happen just such a shame at such a young age

kadie

Meeting neighbors
This sounds like the dogs might have gotten a hold of him . With a minor wound that was missed at the time . Explaining both the tail feathers loss and rapid decline. It's highly unlikely he came to you with this already.

I'm sorry to be blunt , at a time you are grieving the loss of your beautiful friend .

But because you might get parrot again, and for all who read. The previous thread showing dogs and bird, are usually flagged and removed. Birds and dogs should not be encouraged to interact. Even the sweetest dogs. Dogs and cats carry bacteria in their mouths that is deadly to birds , even from minor flesh scratch , minor puncture are easy to miss, the skin can close fast .

1 million percent not my dogs were never alone ever with mango and never would be with any other bird. They are introduced slowly and only if i think they will be ok and i am there. Never would i chance my dogs to be alone in the same room as a bird on there own after all they are hunting animals and i would never forgive myself if anything were to happen.
I had only had mango for a short time rescued from a wee old lady that hadnt a clue how to look after him but wont get into that. The wound was also not missed as i took him to the vet as soon as it happened. Mango was misted daily amd he would allow me to check him over weekly there were never any signs of injury. The tail feather loss was due to an out of season moult was not just his tsil feathers this was also checked with the vet which the vet said it would have been the stress of the internal injury causing him stress the bump he got was after he was moulting. He showed massive signs of progression with me never showed any signs of stress or plucking he was oetrified of hands when i went to visit him but i shared his progression as he came on leaps and bounds in the short time i did have him.
I find it quite disheartening that u have jumped to a conclusion without knowing much information at all really but u recognised u were blunt. I understand that many many people cannot read birds or know how to look after them. Hence why i took mango on. I do my research amd work with the vet to ensure any/all of my pets are cared for the best they can be. It was unfortunate that he was obviously ill before i took him and we knew nothing about it but he still carried on amd started to progress to be a bird amd enjoy a bit of his life for all that he lived. Had the person told me if there was a previous injury or anything wrong with him i still would have taken him to care for him

kadie

Meeting neighbors

He didnt come to me with an external injury i stated he done that himself amd i took him straight to the vet...
How can u possibly say its highly unlikely he came to me without an internal abdominal issue?
The vet said he had the internal issue for a long time caused by injury. He was with me a short time 5 months nearly 6.
For a previous injury to have healed on the outide and his feathers to have grown back no scabs, evidence of an injury and for it to eat away from his colon right up into the underside in his chest im pritty sure in that few months i would have seen some evidence of it.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I am so sorry. It sounds like Mango was very sick for a long time. You gave him a happy end to his tough life and for that kindness I thank you.

I bought my first Quaker who was sickly all her short life of four and a half years. I didn’t even know enough about Quakers to know she was unusually dainty and probably the runt. She had a hard life though I did my best to care for her and love her and I did learn a lot about medical care for parrots.
I think you cared for Mango as well as you could and he probably did not feel very good at all. I’m glad he’s at peace just as eventually I was glad my Gonzo passed during anesthesia.
Please do not feel guilty; I think it was Mango’s time just as it was Gonzo’s. I’m so sorry this happened near Christmas and I hope you are ok. You are welcome to message me anytime. I do wish you the best. It is hard to have the holidays when you are feeling sad and alone and missing someone.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Such a sad day yesterday poor mango had been fighting with a wee sore on his chest 4 vet visits 1 vet hospital through the night then back to vet again yesterday to be stitched up vet opened him up a wee bit further to investigate junk/puss, to find there was a big hole from his colon up into his body a protruding abdominal injury.
He said the chest injury was not related to it but was a poorly wee birdy so was time for him to close his eyes for good.

Sleep tight our cheeky wee mango tango!
I am so sorry for your loss.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
He didnt come to me with an external injury i stated he done that himself amd i took him straight to the vet...
How can u possibly say its highly unlikely he came to me without an internal abdominal issue?
The vet said he had the internal issue for a long time caused by injury. He was with me a short time 5 months nearly 6.
For a previous injury to have healed on the outide and his feathers to have grown back no scabs, evidence of an injury and for it to eat away from his colon right up into the underside in his chest im pritty sure in that few months i would have seen some evidence of it.
I'm direct , and share from experience. Still feel it is highly unlikely this is something he had longer than six months and arrived with. Not with how how he looked and acted when you got him. Those kinds of things don't work that way .

Obviously you care and provide for and sought medical aid. I'm not attacking you as a person. I'm so very sorry for this and your loss. Your veterinarian who saw your bird in person is what you should go by..
unfortunately I ve heard so many things said to grieving owners , that is less than the truth . A disservice to the owners and the community..one of the most common, when found gone, being it must have been a heart attack or congenital...those are exceedingly rare ....as a person who has done thousands and thousands of post mortorum and worked in the field. Sure there is the very rare case that this could be true , like anything it can happen, but beyond rare. 99% were sick or exposed to a toxin.

I have dogs too, and its always a risk..mine came as puppies and grew up with parrots in the home . Never allowing interaction or encouraging interactions. Working always to prevent, and they can't reach the cages. It's still ,and will always be a risk.

kadie

Meeting neighbors
I think u r misunderstanding what i am saying. The small injury on his chest which was a tiny little cut was nothing related to the internal issues.
The internal issues were only found because i saw some puss come out of the cut the night he was rushed to the emergency vets so when my normal vet was going to try and stitch him internally he had a look to see where it was coming from as it wasnt related to the injury from bashing the door.
When he was cut open a bit more is where he found a seperate issue not related to what i seeked veterinary care for.
Because of the slight cut he had is how the vet found the earlier problem
He said it was a (seperate) hole nothing to do with the injury itself
Petruding injury from the colon up into his body. There was no evidence from outside his body of a previous injury therefore the vet thinks that he had had this for a long time.
Mango was only a year old when i got him and only had him for a very short time. So he thinks it was from before i had him. Going by the extent of the damage internally.
I dont know what u mean by the way he looked and acted that its highly unlikely he had something wrong with him internally when i got him its impossible for me or the vet to say exactly when or what happened. I dont know if he had a previous injury or if there was something else wrong with him prior and i try not to dis the previous owner but they didnt really know what they were doing in my eyes he was petrified, didnt know what hands were, didnt look at toys or interact in any way just sat still in his cage when i went to see him, he remained timid for about 4/5 weeks then prigress began, interaction,being vocal, eating from my hands, stepping up, sitting on my shoulder, bathing, starting to look/show interest in toys etc. He showed no signs of actually being ill internally etc so i dont understand that comment.

I appreciate u having an opinion but it does feel like an attack assuming my dogs got hold of him etc. So shall leave it at that u dont know the situation and sometimes being as direct as u have been on this post is not the nicest approach. Unfair and unnecessary in more ways than 1.
Well wishes to u, please just leave It there and keep the rest of ur opinion to urself. Hard enough having to explain myself to a total stranger about how my pet had to be put to sleep.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

kadie

Meeting neighbors
thank u everyone that has commented leaving ur lovely messages about mango. A big loss to our family and never want to replace him.
My son is thinking about another bird as we just didnt get to enjoy being a birdie household that long. All the prep and research feels like its going to waste not having birdies to look after and love!! so we shall see what the future brings.

kadie

Meeting neighbors
I am so sorry. It sounds like Mango was very sick for a long time. You gave him a happy end to his tough life and for that kindness I thank you.

I bought my first Quaker who was sickly all her short life of four and a half years. I didn’t even know enough about Quakers to know she was unusually dainty and probably the runt. She had a hard life though I did my best to care for her and love her and I did learn a lot about medical care for parrots.
I think you cared for Mango as well as you could and he probably did not feel very good at all. I’m glad he’s at peace just as eventually I was glad my Gonzo passed during anesthesia.
Please do not feel guilty; I think it was Mango’s time just as it was Gonzo’s. I’m so sorry this happened near Christmas and I hope you are ok. You are welcome to message me anytime. I do wish you the best. It is hard to have the holidays when you are feeling sad and alone and missing someone.
Aww bless poir gonzo.
Thank you for ur kind words and sharing ur story too.
100% he showed me how to love a bird and he helped me learn alot about them too for sure. He showed me how yo be patient again with the training he did so well and i think he 2 enjoyed the training as he progressed so much which im super glad about so he wasnt sad toward the end of his life and had some enjoyment and lots of yummy treats of course lol. Of course i would much rather it went this way peacefully, than my son/myself finding him 1 morning as selfish as that bit sounds.
They are at peace.
Yep i think i am now officially a crazy bird lady. The way i talk about him lol was 1 of my babies regardless how long for.