• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Rio Approves of the New Countertop

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Mine is a walk-in doorless shower, you're correct. So just one big piece of glass, which supposedly goes in tomorrow.

Most smaller things have been completed, towel bars hung, etc.

Yes the custom cabinet is a different manufacturer -- that's the one lol. The company does not tell anyone a timeline, you just have to wait. (Great customer service, eh?) I was waiting to put my things away, but finally I've started. I'll just cram the appliances somewhere like they were before and wait. And wait. And wait. :D

They sent the cleaning lady again this week. She will come once more after it's all done. Yay!

Reactions: TWR

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That's great they give you a cleaning lady. Our builders swept up after themselves each & every day, but that was it.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
What made you decide to have the appliance cupboard made by a different manufacturer? Is it a complete contrast to the balance of the kitchen?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What made you decide to have the appliance cupboard made by a different manufacturer? Is it a complete contrast to the balance of the kitchen?
Actually we didn't even know they were going to a different manufacturer. I said here's what I want, they drew it out and had us approve it, and they went off to order things. LOL

It is supposed to exactly match. But based on a few things that've happened lately, I'll believe it when I see it!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Ah, I see. Ours was a different process. We told the builder what we wanted in respect of the build and he organised all the tradies - but we ordered all the stuff. We usually ordered it on the builder's account, to get a trade discount - but we did all the shopping etc. I think that is one of the things that made it stressful. So many choices to argue about lol

edit: we didn't order the building materials, as in the hidden stuff like gyprock, timber, waterproofing, bricks etc. But all the finishes, including the kitchen, tiles, and the appliances. We shopped for those.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I see. Fun, but stressful!

We did some shopping ourselves, more of a price comparison really. But we saw that they had good prices.

We purchased our appliances and ceiling fans. We went with the designers and selected our own granite slabs. For everything else we sat in their office looking at samples and saying yes or no.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I guess the difference is that we didn't have an overall designer or project manager. We had an architect (for the structure, not the finishes) a structural engineer (because of the large opening at at the rear), a builder, plus a kitchen design/construct company. Then all the relevant trades. The builder did co-ordinate when each of the tradesman needed to come and do their part. It was more stressful, but it did mean our finishing choices didn't need to be locked in until the builder needed us to arrange delivery. We never held him up, we always kept a step in front of him - but it was only days before we needed to have delivery of the main bathroom fittings when we changed to a freestanding bath instead of a built in bath and from wall bath mixer tap to one of those floor mounted freestanding mixer taps. (I think what we call a tap, you call a faucet.)

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I can't wait for your finishing pictures. Especially your waterfall tiles in the bathroom

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I can't wait for your finishing pictures. Especially your waterfall tiles in the bathroom
I love the waterfall, but the "pool" beneath it ... I am not so happy. I already had it redone once. I feel the designer has let me down considerably, this being the biggest part. I specifically asked for lighter color tiles around the puddle... she did purchase some but not nearly enough, maybe 2 18X18 squares...and we'd talked about another color but that didn't happen... then she and I were putting them in and she barely wanted any. She had also forgotten to order the floor pebbles, so they were out of stock, so we went with some darker ones.

First round, there was no differentiation at all between the 'puddle' and the rest of the floor. The tile guys agreed, and they dug out pebbles that I marked and replaced them with lighter ones. That helped a little. The puddle does not look like a puddle to me -- and it was MY idea and MY design, originally so I feel we deviated a lot from that. I see what she is trying to do, she's thinking if we sell the house they will be less obvious and perhaps it won't prevent a sale. Chances are we'll be here 10 + years so I don't really care about that right now.

She also forgot that I had asked for a spice rack, a tall narrow one by the stove that pulls out like a drawer and has all the spices on shelves. So now she is saying oh put them in a drawer, which really disappoints me. I cook a lot and wanted this one special feature.

We have someone running the whole project, plus the VP of the company drops by every so often. The humorous part of this is, I'm the author of a book called (I always mess up the title, something like) Be Your Own Contractor and Save Thousands While Keeping your Day Job.

I just didn't feel like running it myself. :D

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I love the waterfall, but the "pool" beneath it ... I am not so happy. I already had it redone once. I feel the designer has let me down considerably, this being the biggest part. I specifically asked for lighter color tiles around the puddle... she did purchase some but not nearly enough, maybe 2 18X18 squares...and we'd talked about another color but that didn't happen... then she and I were putting them in and she barely wanted any. She had also forgotten to order the floor pebbles, so they were out of stock, so we went with some darker ones.

First round, there was no differentiation at all between the 'puddle' and the rest of the floor. The tile guys agreed, and they dug out pebbles that I marked and replaced them with lighter ones. That helped a little. The puddle does not look like a puddle to me -- and it was MY idea and MY design, originally so I feel we deviated a lot from that. I see what she is trying to do, she's thinking if we sell the house they will be less obvious and perhaps it won't prevent a sale. Chances are we'll be here 10 + years so I don't really care about that right now.
oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Can she still go back and fix it, or do you think it is something that can grow on you? I agree about not totally caring about future resale. You can't completely ignore that factor, but we did it for us to live in for a long time to come, the same as you did it for you. If we were thinking about resale, the floor tiles probably wouldn't be white. Truly, the white tiles are so easy to keep clean, but buyers may not believe that & be scared off)

She also forgot that I had asked for a spice rack, a tall narrow one by the stove that pulls out like a drawer and has all the spices on shelves. So now she is saying oh put them in a drawer, which really disappoints me. I cook a lot and wanted this one special feature.:D
now that's annoying. Not sure if this is what you mean or not. We have these, one on each side of the undernench oven. Not specifically for spices, but I use the one on the left for spices and the one on the right for oils & other cooking condiments.
IMG_3181.JPG IMG_3183.JPG

But anyway, I have seen some pretty cool spice rack accessories made specifically to fit into drawers. I think that would be even better (provided you can afford to spare the drawer space. Have a look on pin interest, but maybe something like this?
Redirect Notice

Our kitchen designer also made our bathroom cabinets and he stuffed up there. One part he fixed, the other I let go. It was supposed to be 3 drawers deep and it's only 2. Second issue, we ordered 40ml thick Quartz benchtops in both upstairs bathrooms and he only made them 20ml. He argued that if it was HIS bathroom, he would only have it 40ml. Well, guess what it wasn't his bathroom, so he had to remake it the benchtop, but we let the drawer issue go. It bothered me a lot at first, but I'm over it now.

I think that when you reno, there's always going to be something that doesn't turn out exactly how you envisioned. There's a few other things that didn't turn it exactly how I thought, but I've found over time they've stopped being an issue. I hope that is so for you as well, but if it is something that you just can't live with, I hope that they can fix it.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Very wise words! You are probably right. For some reason I am all fixated on "what isn't being done my way" right now. They brought in bathroom mirrors which whould be great in your house, but I thought they were too modern for mine. Hubby said he liked 'em and I grumped around .... I am not usually like that but I've been stepped on a lot lately between these guys, the person who stole my identity, and even my fellow artists today who ALL had a critique for me. I need to calm down.

YES you have the cool spice rack like I wanted. I'll be right over. :roflmao:

The link you showed is very nice, hubby also found one ... well I can't find it. Anyway I am sure we will figure it all out.

But you know, when they say "if it was mine...." that is when they get into trouble. I'm going to start interrupting and saying "it's MINE."

:fired:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Don't blame you for being fixated on what isn't being done your way. This is your dream, your vision and you're paying a bucket load of money for it. It's just that I also think it's such an emotional process (because of those very same reasons). I really think that little things can feel like such huge issues - until a week later when you wonder why it ever seemed that way. Sorry if I seem to be minimising the issues that went wrong - don't mean to - just trying to put a positive spin on it, if they are things that can't change now.

But you know, when they say "if it was mine...." that is when they get into trouble. I'm going to start interrupting and saying "it's MINE."

:fired:
yes, he maide me see red when he said it. Although it was his mistake, he was actually yelling at me over it and telling me how he wouldn't have it 40ml thick if it was HIS, he'd only have it 20ml. At some point you do have to tell them but it's not YOURS, it's MINE.

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So did hubby get the bathroom mirrors, (the ones that were a bit too modern) or did they go back?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
LOL they are here -- for now. We're looking around. ;)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Awwww❤❤❤Rio has great taste! And those little peeps and squeaks as he is rolling around playing! :) so adorable!