• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringo & Riven hawkhead update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last week I decided that it was time to bring Riven out - while I would normally at least do a 30 day isolation the circumstances here said that it needed to be sooner. Since I moved her out next to Ringo the barbering has stopped (fingers crossed it stays that way). Both are doing very well and having her out there has really picked up Ringo's eating habits :) He now eats a wider variety and is eating his seed mix & nuts in addition to all his fresh foods. This week I let them both out of their cages at the same time so I could see how they might interact.

The first day was the most interesting of course. First thing they did was swap cages and they explored the inside of each others cages. Very funny! After they were done checking out the cages they both came out and would basically sit quietly on top of one cage or the other. Ringo was the most curious and would quietly move closer to Riven. At one point they were sitting side by side and he made an attempt to preen and she nipped at him and he backed away. He came back later and tried again (it all seemed to be SO polite on his part) and she did allow him to preen and she preened him a bit also. If he made an advance and she made any indication of "no" he would just back away. He seems to be playing the "Im ignoring you" act now and isnt making any attempts to sit next to her.

The next day they would basically just sit on top of Riven's cage, occasionally one or the other would hop over to Ringo's cage and just hang out. Not really any interaction and they typically sit about 2 feet apart.

Today was the 4th time Ive had them out and it was for the longest duration (about 4 hours). I added a dish of fresh foods on top of Riven's cage (where they seem to hang out most) and both ate but not at the same time. Today was also the first day I let them stay out while I left the room. I could hear what they were up to but wanted to give them a chance to do whatever they were going to do without me as a factor. They both did fine and stayed on top of the cage, I could tell any time Ringo would go get some food as he always seems to purr with contentment when he is eating :D

Its been interesting watching them as other pairs I have put together (not hawkheads) have had such a dramatic interaction and these guys just seem so indifferent. Not sure what the future holds but Im glad that at the very least they seem to tolerate eachothers presence. Worst case they would be in a divided flight but I hope that they will be able to share one.

Getting Ringo back to his cage was the most challeging as I do NOT want to stress him and any human contact is just too much for the poor guy to handle (and I certainly dont want him to feel "chased" in any way). We have worked out an agreement now where I pull the grate from his cage and he will slide down and go into it that way, and then I can pop the grate back in. Why he doesnt go in through the open door beats me but this seems to work fine with minimal stress to either of us ;)

I did get some of it on video but not sure how well it will turn out. The lighting isnt too great as I had to cover all windows since they are not clipped and I dont want them crashing into glass. Ringo couldnt fly well at all when he first came here but is quite good at it now. Just needed to stretch those wings I suppose. Riven still has not given any attempt at flight and I dont know if she even can with the barbering on her flights :( I would really like to see her fly.

Lex123

Rollerblading along the road
How exciting! Great to know they are doing so well. I'll let you in on a little secret. Before I came to the Avenue, I didn't even know Hawkhaeds exsisted! And I thought I had done tons of research on birds, LOL!

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
How cute! I loved the description of the first day, how gentlemen like he was... so adorable!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
They sure are progressing well Jill. I am so glad they are at least attempting to get along.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
fascinating read!:D
Thanks for the update Jill :) Hope the indifference blossoms into a friendship :dance4::dance4:

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Very impressed with their progress, Jill. I am so glad they are getting well acquainted. Hopefully everything will continue to go smoothly and they will be in the same flight one day. :)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is totally a gentleman. I really loved watching him and it was like you could see the thoughts in his head. He really wanted to say hi but was being so respectful. I love that boy :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
great news - glad they are both eating well and Riven has stopped barbering, at least for now

so sweet to hear of them out together :heart:

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I really enjoyed reading your post. :)

Everything sounds really positive and I hope that they will eventually be able to share a flight as well. Great Job Jill! :)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone :) It was nervewracking the first day. I was prepared to step in at a moments notice if something went wong, my heart was pounding. They are doing great though and even if indifferent, its interesting to watch them and what they do. They have both quieted down (especially Riven) a LOT. It is nice to have the calls subside for sure. Im the most pleased though about not finding any evidence from barbering. Every day there would be a few snips (like hairs) from her feathers and it is so depressing finding tat. None the past week and Im super pleased about that.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Im the most pleased though about not finding any evidence from barbering. Every day there would be a few snips (like hairs) from her feathers and it is so depressing finding tat. None the past week and Im super pleased about that.
Do you think it could just have been the stress from the transition? Was she barbering before at her old owner's place?

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She didnt notice it but it was definitely there before she came here. I looked her over when I got her home the first night and saw it :( She continued on her flights from what was already there - not a lot but I'd still find "parts" rather than molted feathers. Nothing like that in about a week now :) I really, really hope it is just a matter of needing more stimulation. She LOVES to take baths and Im sure that is helping also.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a nice update!!:highfive:

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Jill, this thread put a grin on my face. Thank you for sharing with us how the introduction went. Given how different I feel Voodoo & Taboo are from our other parrots, I shouldn't be surprised to hear that the introduction of Riven & Ringo went differently than how other species generally react in a similar situation. I know what you mean how dramatic introductions can be and am so pleased to learn how smoothly this has went so far. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for more news on this front from you. Wow, you just jumped a major hurdle though. Congrats! I know how thrilled you will be if Riven & Ringo accept each other. It sounds as though they are both lonely and would enjoy each other's company. What a gift to them both should this work out. Way cool.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Loved reading about them. I hope they continue to become friends and can be happy together.

Ginger

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Really enjoyed your accounts of Ringo and Riven's courtship. My guess is they will be inseparable before long. :)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sure hope so JR :) You introduced your two as youngsters correct? It has been fascinating not only with Ringo & Riven but Cassius also. He was a lone chick and I had always wondered what his reaction to another HH would be. He does contact call (a single note call that almost sounds like a question, haha). His HH call is different from both of the other two but I have heard Ringo starting to sound more like Cassius. Strange!

When I introduced Ausin & Shiloh (goffin Toos) it was "love at first sight" (though they had been side by side awhile) and mutual preening right away. First day she was inviting him to mate :eek: and they are absolutely inseparable. I wasnt expecting that but I was hoping for mre mutual preening at least :rolleyes:

How do Attu & Shemya typically interact?

Last edited by a moderator:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Jill what a nice progression Riven and Ringo are making! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.