• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck dove having hormonal problems

Callista15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Callista(Cally)
I recently acquired a ringneck dove, male, about a year old, and, ah, a bit hormonal. As soon as he settled in, he started trying to mate with our female cockatoo(yes, he did)(no, not a bright idea, she's very territorial towards other birds, and thinks she's human), then moved on to our male tiel(didn't go over well either, but at least Rainy didn't run the risk of getting decapitated)(Rainy also likes to regurgitate for the tiel), and finally fixated on our smallest banty, May, who is currently broody. He gets twelve or more hours of darkness, with a covered cage, in a quiet room, he gets a good seed mix with veggies and fruit in addition, he gets plenty of exercise, and takes baths. I haven't given him a nest. Is there anything I can do or change in his environment that would help cut down the hormones a bit? Or do I just have wait it out? Or should I buy him a compatible mate, and give them some fake eggs? Thanks for any help you might have. :)

bird help

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Raigan
Idk what to tell you but :goodluck:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
someonew will be along to help you shortly...I really don't think th ere is much you can do though...@birdbabe @Birdbabe

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He may just be trying to show his dominance, I dont think its hormones yet....doves are not unlike pigeons....males that is. Im the boss, everyone submit to me. Keep Death wish away from the others for now till he settles down. Do not get him a mate, the boys can be quite aggresive and hurt the girls. It will pass.

Callista15

Real Name
Callista(Cally)
Ah. Okay. Thanks for the advice. He's started flying into the bathroom, and cooing and bowing for his reflection. I've had to carry him out several times. Weird thing is, now he and the tiel are best buds. I never thought the tiel would be friends with another bird, but he is.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thats great! My doves and tiels all get along too. Wait till he starts hopping at your feet and pecking your toes....heehee

Callista15

Real Name
Callista(Cally)
Well. Rainy also seems to really like May, the broody hen. He sat in front of her nest today, for three hours straight, guarding her. Then he took to the air, and launched an aerial attack. Thankfully, with that tiny little beak, he couldn't do much more than poke me, but he seemed pretty pleased when I backed off, and went back to guarding May. Has anyone had a dove and a chicken/ a dove and a parrot form a mate bond? I'm just wondering, but that's how our green cheek conure, Yoshi, acted while his mate, Sunny, was nesting.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Tumbles&Chloe.jpg I had a rescue pigeon here once and he and my Dove Chloe were ...uh...mates, till it was time for him to go.

Callista15

Real Name
Callista(Cally)
Huh. Today Rainy was feeding her and preening her, too. Odd, as May was incubator hatched and human-imprinted and hate hate hates other birds. She's the last one I'd expect to bond.

Callista15

Real Name
Callista(Cally)
While I was out, my mom made a big mistake. She gave him a pocket mirror propped up inside his cage. When I got back, he was crazy hyped up, and the mirror was sitting face down on too of a bookshelf. Apparently he isn't allowed it anymore. She lasted ten minutes before she caved, and removed it.