• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rileys a girl!

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
so riley has been sitting at the bottom of the cage lately, and last night I heard a lot of commotion at the bottom of the cage. I had a feeling she's laying an egg. So I woke up this morning to find a small egg. Now I know for sure Riley is a girl, but is this bad that she laid an egg? She was with another bird before I got her and I'm kinda worried if it's fertilized but I got her three months ago would that be to long? I really don't want Riley to get egg bound. Will she lay more then one? She's also been sitting on it. I really don't know what to do :( and what do I do with the egg??

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
OK...deep breath! Let Riley keep her egg....nature being nature, you should probably see another egg or two, laid every other day. If the egg breaks, remove it. Provide some source of calcium...she be needing more of the mineral to produce her eggs.
I would doubt that the egg is fertile. Monitor Riley for signs of discomfort..straining, etc.
Remember...calm...nature is being nature here...

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
OK...deep breath! Let Riley keep her egg....nature being nature, you should probably see another egg or two, laid every other day. If the egg breaks, remove it. Provide some source of calcium...she be needing more of the mineral to produce her eggs.
I would doubt that the egg is fertile. Monitor Riley for signs of discomfort..straining, etc.
Ok thank you :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Right now, Omega Budgie is laying eggs. She's got two eggs...one laid yesterday, one Wednesday. We have to neutralize the eggs because she lives with her mate, Marley.
Of the two, Marley is the better parent..he likes to sit on his eggies, where Omega ignores them...:rolleyes:

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Right now, Omega Budgie is laying eggs. She's got two eggs...one laid yesterday, one Wednesday. We have to neutralize the eggs because she lives with her mate, Marley.
Of the two, Marley is the better parent..he likes to sit on his eggies, where Omega ignores them...:rolleyes:
Awwww Riley is taking a nap while sitting on her eggs right now :heart:

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Umm how long do I keep the egg in there? I don't want it to rot :/

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Umm how long do I keep the egg in there? I don't want it to rot :/
Riley will lose interest in sitting on the eggs...once you see this, take them out. Also consider getting some fake eggs...that way if Riley lays again in the future, you can just substitute the fakes for the real ones..

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
As long as the egg isn't cracked leave it alone. You should leave eggs in the cage for at least a week after she stops sitting on them. You can try plastic eggs as a substitute, but we never had any luck with them.

The most important thing to realize is that 'tiels can count, and they count their eggs. If one is removed before she gives up on them, Riley will replace it, and if this happens enough, she could become a chronic layer. This is what happened with Buddy, even after all of our best attempts. She finally stopped laying after we moved, but that's not a real solution...LOL.

This is a great resource about laying: Cockatiels, egg laying process, chronic egg laying in cockatiels and single birds, female cockatiels laying eggs,chronic reproductive syndrome,
single birds laying eggs, how to stop
a cockatiel and other birds from laying eggs, how avian bird eggs are fertilized, avian female reproductive system.