• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Right bird for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsAmandaYall

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Amanda
I live in small quarters and am looking for a bird who's on the quite side. Also, a bird who's going to cuddle with me, in my clothes/hair, ride on my shoulder. I'd like a bird with personality, not something just to look at. Talking ability would be great, and I plan on teaching the bird tricks too. I know p'lets can be nippy/feisty and that's the part that worries me. Can anyone explain/give examples of their feisty personality? Are they like dr. jekyll and mr. Hyde? Lastly, I know each bird has their own personality. Thanks in advanced.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I wouldn't call it a jekyll and hyde effect at all. Milo is VERY clear with his body language and his mood, and makes no bones about bossing me around. And everyone else for that matter. He can be very loud, but I think there should be no trouble in an apartment unless you have an incredibly sensitive neighbor. He says a few words, but they're not as clear as a grey or a larger bird. I would recommend finding a green rump over a pacific because they tend to be a little less nippy than the pacifics. That said, Milo is very protective of his cage and I cannot stick my hands in it when he is in there.

I want to caution you as well, medical care for a plet can get very complicated very quickly because of their small size. Blood testing is very risky because they just don't have that much blood in their body and they could easily bleed out. Anesthesia is also a greater risk because of how small they are. Not trying to scare you, but I definitely didn't think of that when I got Milo. We treated him for asper last year and getting it diagnosed was a nightmare. He is obviously still with us, and I credit that to our amazing vet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Last edited:

Featherluv

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Stefanie
My p'let is nippy & feisty but so darn cute that he can get away with it LOL! He's almost constantly chattering, similar to a budgie but louder. Very active lil guy, he loves scritches, will cuddle & loves getting tangled in hair but he likes to be on the move & exploring so he wont sit still for long. He will bite, seemingly without warning & it hurts, ESP in all the areas he can reach on your shoulder! We call him the lil piranha :hehe:

Silvra

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Have you looked into the Poicephalus parrots? Senegals, meyer's etc. I thought about getting a parrotlet as a companion bird but after a lot of research I realised that a sennie would be more fun. I have a pair of parrotlets as well now but they'll never live up to my little Loki. Parrotlets are more problem prone with a higher chance of issues like plucking and cage aggression. Their tiny size does make aggression a bit less of an issue. Noise-wise I find that although my sennie's contact call is slightly louder than my parrotlets loudest call, it's not as high pitched and he only uses it once or twice when I leave the room. The rest of his noises are much nicer whistles, words and quieter calls. The parrotlets on the other hand can be quite persistant in making horrible high, repetative sounds.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I thought about getting a parrotlet as a companion bird but after a lot of research I realised that a sennie would be more fun.
That is entirely subjective. Of course we're all being subjective here, but I personally am offended by this. I've had both a senegal and obviously have a parrotlet and I think they're both amazing in their own way. My senegal cage aggression issues just like the plet, and there are other members here to have had a similar experience.

animallover

Jogging around the block
Hi Amanda life is so wonderful when you have little critters (dogs,or cats, or birds) in it. I can't imagine my life without them as I have always had animals. I have several dogs and cats and a wonderful little crimson bellied conure who was a rescue. I was so lucky he is so adorable and lovable. He is quiet and I hardly know he is around. He isn't nippy or bites at all. He is a bundle of fun and love as he loves to cuddle and fall asleep on my chest up under my chin. Any bird you get could be a good or difficult bird as it depends on their personality and breeding and handling. I don't know of any species that is a bad bird per say but some of them can be very loud and at times challenging but then that is part of the fun of having them. Maybe think of a cockatiel or a conure or a parrolet they are all great birds. Good luck and enjoy your new baby when you get it.

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I live in small quarters and am looking for a bird who's on the quite side. Also, a bird who's going to cuddle with me, in my clothes/hair, ride on my shoulder. I'd like a bird with personality, not something just to look at. Talking ability would be great, and I plan on teaching the bird tricks too. I know p'lets can be nippy/feisty and that's the part that worries me. Can anyone explain/give examples of their feisty personality? Are they like dr. jekyll and mr. Hyde? Lastly, I know each bird has their own personality. Thanks in advanced.
Most of the responses are not offering much positive about the parrotlet. I have two..each with different personality. Both cuddle in my hair and are on my shoulders and they don't bite all the time. My male likes to be on my finger perched and talk to me. He turns his head and relaxes this way. My female does more exploration and acrobatics while with me. Both can relax and are with me even though they do not have wings clipped. Just thought I'd offer something more positive. They trust me to enter their cage with my hands to clean it and arrange things but not to step up from there very well. They always come to the cage door opening and step up. The times I've been warned with a bite is when rushing them, trying to get them repositioned from my shoulder to finger sometimes or when trying to interfere when they are eating their favorite granola treat.

Silvra

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
That is entirely subjective. Of course we're all being subjective here, but I personally am offended by this. I've had both a senegal and obviously have a parrotlet and I think they're both amazing in their own way. My senegal cage aggression issues just like the plet, and there are other members here to have had a similar experience.

Well let me put it differently, I realised that sennies hold things with their feet (which is adorable), have a high probability of being happy to roll about on their backs, can do more complex tricks and can wear a harness to go outside. I personaly define that as more fun since they can do a greater number of fun things. Some sennies may have cage aggression issues but I've never heard of it as a species trait and they can be trained out of it. I think that it probably is more of a species trait with parrotlets but I assume that they can also be trained out of it if they are clever enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.