• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rhea's experience with new foods ;P

Buganjimo

Meeting neighbors
Got my stubborn girlie, my 7 month old ringneck, to try some new foods, which included some boiled plain pasta, eggs (+the shells), and of course some greens and some of her pellets. she liked the eggs and the shells, as she enjoys crunchy stuff, but all the pasta got picked out and thrown around :hehe::shrug:, you win some and you loose some, I guess lmao. at least she enjoyed the eggs lol, a win as far as I'm concerned, as I like her have some extra protein and calcium with her first molt!

wanted to share my win! she's been so good with new foods since I got her!

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wow, how'd you convince her to try it all? Or at least most of it. :hehe:

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
If you want her to try some leafy greens try making a bundle and hanging it in her cage dunno why but my birds eat more greens if I feed them this way. I have used spinach, chard, arugala, parsley, cilantro, mustard greens, red cabbage etc...

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Tricky, tricky.... I like it!

Buganjimo

Meeting neighbors
haha yeah, she may be stubborn when it comes to training and hands, but I've been blessed with the one of the least picky ringnecks I've seen! she'll try anything!

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Eggs are a bad ideal as they'll most likely to carry disease from very densely populated chicken farms. Meats aren't good either. I buy mine Birdseye frozen mixed vegetables of corn, green beans, and carrots (actually I buy them for me) and she'll eat without trying to coax her but that kind of food is supplied by her Zupreem pellets. What she was missing from her natural diet was seeds because the pet store was only giving pellets. So I use parakeet (budgie) seed mix and a wild bird seed mix that has peanuts, sunflower seeds, millet, canary seeds, cranberries, raisins and give her that. The wild seed mix way over in the Lawn & Garden section of WalMart is coincidentally also from 3D that makes the budgie seed mix & cockatiel seed mix I buy. It's now about 50% pellet & 50% seed which is what the bird is choosing, not me. I just make them both available. The thawed frozen vegetables are just a sometimes treat.