• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reversible sedation for grooming and bloodwork for easily stressed birds

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I'll quote my vet

"
I can give either an injection or apply it in their nostrils and it sedates them for a procedure and when I’m done I can give a reversal injection or in the nostril and they are awake quickly. It’s a combination of Midazolam and Torbutrol. I use it to get blood, do x-rays etc... The bird is less stressed. They are not under enough to do surgery but good for procedures.

"

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hmmmmm. Interesting.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
"
There are certain drugs that reverse other. Fluazonil reverses the sedative action of Midazolam.

"

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Chickie needs an upper and lower beak trim and she freaks out for nails. She's perfectly sociable with people handling her, just not being restrained. So I'll be taking her in next week.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
One vet did use that on my Hahns and it worked fine. The problem with him is that he is so freaked out about the vet's that he has hurt himself several times thrashing about his travel cage when the vet tries to towel him. so we need a sedative they can spray into the cage!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, Dr. Orosz does it for my compromised babies...Julip always, since she doesn't recover quickly due to decreased liver function. And the last cheekie to have it done was Lola because he was having seizures and she needed him out. She doesn't like them to be groggy when we leave since we have a long drive and when they are out, they need extra warmth.