• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

research on hugging dogs

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Today I was watching a morning show where it was announced that dogs don't like been hugged. while they were talking about this research. Tequila, our American Staffordshire Terrier came into the lounge room and put her front legs onto the seat, head on my shoulder and I gave her a hug. something the wife and I do each day.
:exactly:(Yes the irony is not lost on me.)

I'm pretty sure that Tequila isn't the only dog that wants to be given a hug. How many owners get hugs from their pets? This doesn't just apply to dogs, I'm sure that other animals give their human companions some form of affection.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
My Border/Pit mix likes hugs, too. He initiates similar to how your Tequila does. He will lay his head on your shoulder or climb on your lap and lean on your chest. Such a cuddlebug!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
That article has many in an uproar. I've heard about it numerous times.

IMO, family dogs are OK with that close contact, in fact many solicit hugs.

For strangers or acquaintances to hug your dog, that IMO is asking for a bite.

Some dogs might tolerate it from strangers, even like it, but many would find it very uncomfortable, to even threatening.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
My mom's blue heeler is THE huggiest dog EVER. If you crouch down, she will ever so gently put her paws up on your shoulders and lean into you until you hug her. She would be happy to just sit and cuddle the day away. :xflove:

Senneth

Strolling the yard
I'm a dog groomer, and I hug my own dogs and my doggie clients just fine and without incident. A well socialized dog that is known to the person who is trying to hug/kiss them isn't going to run into much of a problem. That's not to say that "all" dogs like it, because many don't.

When I heard about this, I rolled my eyed, giggled to myself a little bit then gave my favorite furry client a big hug and kiss :hug3:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Wasn't this "study" done by a single person looking at pictures from the internet? I'd call that more of an observation, not a study.

Senneth

Strolling the yard
Supposedly, this study was done by "professionals" of some variety.... I haven't asked any of the trainers I know what they think, but I'm sure my clients will be heartbroken to find out they aren't supposed to like hugs anymore.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Arthur one of our red dachshunds doesnt like it unless he is in bed with you, then he snuggles right up and
likes to be hugged. My other two dachshunds love to be hugged and Max our big mix breed will let you hug him all day and night.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Surprisingly out of the 3 GSDs I've had in the last 12 years, only one was safe to hug, and he had his limits. One would definitely bite, while another would nip.

So two of mine were not safe dogs for strangers to hug. All 3 of mine were fine with me hugging on them. Another was fine with family and friends, while the 3rd, no one but me could handle.

It is different for every dog, and even different occasions and circumstances.

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
Well you can't just go hug strange dogs, that's not cool. Dogs often put their heads over each other's backs as dominance play displays and if a strange person did that they could be offended - if they cared about such things. While none of my dogs would bite someone strange for hugging them only one of the four would really like it. Another would like it if it was a kid but would tolerate an adult. One would skitter out of reach. The last would tolerate.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All of my dogs have enjoyed and solicited hugs from me. The springer and the yorkie more so than the sheltie. My springer is ridiculously sweet and affectionate. Although, if someone else tried to hug him, he'd probably pee. That submissive urination thing spaniels do is so annoying. I can't take him anywhere indoors where other people might try to even talk to him.

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
So is it weird that my cat lays next to me at night in a hugging position? I don't complain unless she uses my face as a pillow. She also plays fetch, so maybe she's not the prime example of what a cat should be.

My neighbor's dog would not be too happy to hear hugs were no longer a thing.

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Think of it like this... what would YOUR reaction be if a stranger, of a different species, and a different language, just up and came out to you with an enthusiastic hug? Probably a bit different if it was from your "mama"! Not sure why this is surprising, I know mine love to cuddle and let me know in no uncertain terms when they are ready for it!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I believe this research was aimed at owners not strangers.