• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures rescuing again!

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Some one text me and asked if I would take in a african grey I thought to my self oh no not another. I said tell me about this baby. She said her grandmother passed and they dont want it . Also said they thought it was 10 years old and she got it at a pet store. So I drove 2 hours one way to check Elvis out. The house is run down trash every where out side. I thought oh god! I went inside and I about puked the smell and the dirtyness was aweful!!! The cage didnt look bad for cleaness I pulled my sleeve over my fingers and put it against the cage he didnt lunge at me he put his head down to be scritched.. his feathers were dull and greasy dirty feeling . No plucking that I could see. They made my time short like 5 min. The boyfriend said ok Elvis your visiting time is up. He folowed me to other side of cage as I walked away. I lectured them on feeding it was kaytee looked like all seeds. I went to buy them a healthier version. They also said they give him grapes a lot. I told them if I take him they have to listen to me until I come get him. So any pointers will help. 20140126_161141.jpg

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Awwwww. When are you going to get him? I'd say the sooner the better.

The only other thought is to make arrangements for quarantine from your current birds. This is so important is often overlooked.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Awwwww. When are you going to get him? I'd say the sooner the better.

The only other thought is to make arrangements for quarantine from your current birds. This is so important is often overlooked.

It will be In about 3weeks when I getiincome tax. Yes I will quarantein him...

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It will be In about 3weeks when I getiincome tax. Yes I will quarantein him...
Oh so are they saving him for you, I hope they will take good care of him in the meantime. Some people just don't know any better. I hope they follow your instructions. Elvis is a cutie :)

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor bugger!! Some people!! :angry:
Also make sure he has a variety of perches. :)
@vmashley03 knows lots more about AGs though :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It looks like he has so toys and perhaps since his cage was clean it is an indication that his previous home was cleaner than this one.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
By
Oh so are they saving him for you, I Hildebrand ll take good care of him in the meantime. Some people just don't know any better. I hope they follow your instructions. Elvis is a cutie :)
I hope so too. They appear to be slow. Like mentally challenged. So hopefully he will be ok and i told her to make sure to watch incase he doesnt eat the pellets . And to let me know ASAP. yes they are going to hold him for me

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
unless they are feeding him something actually dangerous like chocolate or beer, I would not change the diet too much since you don't know if they'll observe if he isn't eating. Let them feed a seed diet if he's used to it and tell them to give him some broccoli, carrots, green beans, red peppers as extras. And washed grapes since he eats them. In 3 weeks he could starve, but that isn't enough time to do much nutritional damage.

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Oh that poor baby! I just want to scoop him up!!! What pellets did you get him?? If he is resistant nutriberries/pellet berries help bridge the gap and still give him some seeds. My CAG switched day one to pellets though (we tried Roudybush first and now she is on Harrison's HP with red palm oil added)..but she still loves her "berries". He doesn't look like he is in THAT bad of shape from a feather perspective. He looks friendly too! But not much you can do until you get him home as far as perches, toys,total diet makeover and seen by the vet.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Oh that poor baby! I just want to scoop him up!!! What pellets did you get him?? If he is resistant nutriberries/pellet berries help bridge the gap and still give him some seeds. My CAG switched day one to pellets though (we tried Roudybush first and now she is on Harrison's HP with red palm oil added)..but she still loves her "berries". He doesn't look like he is in THAT bad of shape from a feather perspective. He looks friendly too! But not much you can do until you get him home as far as perches, toys,total diet makeover and seen by the vet.
No he doesn't just dull feathers and greasy dirty feathers. I got him In Tune thats all the cash I had on me ... I feed lefber(sp)...tops...and harrison

Last edited:

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Poor Elvis probably needs a good bath and once he is on a better diet his feathers will look nicer (hopefully his calcium and other levels are ok from being on seeds) but that can all be rectified once he is with you and eating good!! I bet he will be so much happier when he gets to come home with you!

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Poor Elvis probably needs a good bath and once he is on a better diet his feathers will look nicer (hopefully his calcium and other levels are ok from being on seeds) but that can all be rectified once he is with you and eating good!! I bet he will be so much happier when he gets to come home with you!
Do you think I should get some calcium food over to him.?

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
I mean in the grande scheme of things 3weeks isn't that long regarding that..I would wait to get blood work on him and see for sure if his calcium level is too low..he may very well be fine but greys are prone to calcium deficiency so that's why I mentioned it..if it is out of wack your vet can monitor it and it will probably correct itself with proper nutrition but I wouldn't supplement anything without supervision of a vet--to be safe and avoid other issues). Butttt it wouldn't hurt to make sure he gets some veggies high in calcium if you were talking about getting calcium into him that way. He will probably also benefit from d3 (sunshine and in the pellets) which will also probably help with the feather quality and dullness..but I know there's not a whole lot you can do until you have him in your possession.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor guy..I hope they take good care of him until you get him. also tell them about aerosol sprays and stuff like that...poor guy.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww, Ok Elvis your visiting time is up? After 5 minutes???? UGH! I hope you get him outta there soon. Thank you for wanting to help him.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Is there any way you could borrow the money and go get him sooner? If they know so little, I'd be worried about waiting 3 weeks. He probably won't get out of the cage, may or may not get fed, etc. I agree that it's not the time to change his diet. It can wait until he settles in with you, although it doesn't hurt to offer healthy things on top of his seeds. It doesn't sound like they care that much though.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Is there any way you could borrow the money and go get him sooner? If they know so little, I'd be worried about waiting 3 weeks. He probably won't get out of the cage, may or may not get fed, etc. I agree that it's not the time to change his diet. It can wait until he settles in with you, although it doesn't hurt to offer healthy things on top of his seeds. It doesn't sound like they care that much though.
I am trying to sell some things and borrow money but no one will help.I will keep trying