• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Rescued today

Arslan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arslan
hello guys
I went to my local garage to get my car fixed. I saw him their for the 1st time today. Ask my mechanic is that yours he said ha thinking of getting rid of him. I didn't hav time to take care of him any more. So I said I will take him.
I do have experience with parrots but not with this species so I will need all the help there is
1st can some 1 tell me what kind of parrot he is?

The guy said he is 7 months old but he seems to be placking. Can they start feather picking at that age ?
And what should be my way forward

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is a Senegal parrot. They are one of the poicephalus species, not a conure. Depending on his health, and his care so far, it is possible that he could begin plucking at that young of an age. I am sure that someone with more experience with this species and plucking will be able to help you.

Matt

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
not sure how long it takes for sennies to get adult eye color, but I would think 7 months would be a bit young just looking at them. Definitely would go for a vet check asap to make sure it is not a medical problem. his hatch year will be on his leg band

Arslan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arslan
He is just so scared to I haven't tried to touch him yet to see the leg band. But he look more then 7 months old to me too.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Bless your heart, thanks for taking him :cool:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It looks like there's a possibility that he's being plucked by another bird, tbh. I have not heard of a species outside of cockatoos that could pluck the back of their heads.... not to say it's impossible, but highly unlikely for a bird to be plucking *that* region.... so a new environment, new cage, new foods, etc may be all he needs for those feathers to regrow. Whether or not he's actually plucking, a health check up with some tests wouldn't go amiss!

MaliMoto

Meeting neighbors
It looks like there's a possibility that he's being plucked by another bird, tbh. I have not heard of a species outside of cockatoos that could pluck the back of their heads.... not to say it's impossible, but highly unlikely for a bird to be plucking *that* region.... so a new environment, new cage, new foods, etc may be all he needs for those feathers to regrow. Whether or not he's actually plucking, a health check up with some tests wouldn't go amiss!
Could it be fleas/mites/lice something, that is making him itchy? Could the back of the head be from over scratching?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I think His eyes are too yellow for 7 months. I would think that something from his environment could cause him to pluck. Shower or mist him a couple times a week and have him vet checked.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Possible, yes, but this looks more like over-preening from another bird rather than a mite issue. Mites are most often found around the beak, on the beak, on the feet and legs, or in the flight feathers.... depending on type. It's also highly unusual for parrots outside of budgies to get mites. I've seen photos of a macaw that had a severe infestation of mites, so it's definitely not just budgies! Just, when you look for mite info, it's mostly for budgies, sometimes cockatiels, finches, canaries and perhaps pigeons, too.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
All I can add is that he is beautiful and thank you for taking him in. Also, if you have other birds, he should be in quarantine if he isn't already to make sure that he doesn't have anything that will affect the health of your other birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This species is African and a close cousin to the Meyers parrot. Take good care of him. He needs you.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The plucking pattern is very suspicious. I have seen birds who "over groomed" around their neck and chest out of boredom, so the plucking on the neck, chest and back could be self inflicted. But the loss of feathers on the back of the head is very suspicious. It is either excessive scratching or rubbing against something or there was another bird in with him who was pucking his head. I don't think it was another bird. I think it is behavioral. The bird otherwise looks in good condition. I am suspicious the bird may be a hen due to the preponderance of yellow feathers on the body area distal of the vent. It also suggests that the bird is older than just a few months; more like five or more years.

If he is very afraid, it could be he wasn't getting enough attention or interaction and he was plucking as a substitute for interaction with another bird or person. Sennies are social birds, very interactive with their owners if given a chance. Lack of socialization can be a cause of plucking, despite some peoples' opinions. I have seen it reverse itself in rescued birds once the rescuee has other birds/humans with whom to interact.

If you could give him a week to settle in before handling him or fussing him up, I would do this. Sennies can get emotionally distraught and form an emotional stress reaction that can be difficult to alter once it has formed. I would do the sit by the cage and talk to him training for a while, offering treats and maybe even reading to him or singing quietly. My Sunshine Senegal loves me to sing to her, and her favorite song is Sunshine, You Are My Sunshine! He definitely need to be quarantined and seen by a vet for a well bird visit. Otherwise I think he will do well with you.

Thank you for rescuing him. What is is name?

Arslan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arslan
No name yet. Any suggestions welcome.

He is being quarantined. And will get him vet checked ASAP as well.

Should I give him a full shower today? Or w8 for a week so he get settled 1st?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I would start with gentle misting. That way if he is afraid of your presence you can stand away and mist him from above.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I am suspicious the bird may be a hen due to the preponderance of yellow feathers on the body area distal of the vent. It also suggests that the bird is older than just a few months; more like five or more years.

Thank you for rescuing him. What is is name?
I agree with the more like five years. But Jason is a surgically sexed male. He is yellow from shoulders to tail with the exception of the green V. I will try to get a good picture of Jason's underside at a reasonable hour today.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Thank you for helping him out! I hope the vet check goes well. Let us know!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Because of where they are from I like the name Savanna