• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescue tiel help

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
So just last week or so someone gave me a lovebird they could no longer care for. She's settling in well and seems very happy. Now yesterday I was asked to take in a cockatiel in rough shape...of course I said yes, because who needs things when you can pay vet bills back to back lol. Whoever owned her last just mutilated her feathers trying to Clip her wings. They literally cut ALL THE FEATHERS ON HER WING leaving some with clots where they bled and she looks like a Picasso painting...no two feathers the same even length. She's also just as terrified as can be. The prior owners told the rescuers that when she gets loud they just cover her with a towel. Just awful people. So right now I have her in a small cage (I wasn't expecting her so I had to order a large cage that will be here tomorrow) and hoping thats ok for a day or two? I have toys in there (her first we think as she was kept in a small cage with nothing but a chicken feeder on the bottom) and she LOVES them. She constantly plays. She doesn't seem mean, just terrified. She gets puffed up when I reach in to adjust something or clean but doesn't ever go in for a bite. I'm so hopeful that with some time and patience she'll learn to trust people. Any advice on getting her to get away from her fear zone and realize that some people only bring treats and head scratches? I feel awful she's in a tiny cage today but it has perches and toys and clean food and water...tomorrow she'll have a huge cage for herself and should be much happier.
(The pic isn't the greatest but she's pure white with red tinted eyes) IMG_20160705_091154077.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's beautiful. Thank you for helping this bird. As an fyi, it's best to quarantine a new bird for at least 30 days before introducing her to your other bird. I can't believe people can be so cruel. For the first few days, I would keep her in a quiet area with maybe playing some soft music during the day, as total silence can mean "danger". If she seems really, really scared, you can cover three sides of her cage, leaving the front open. That way, she won't have to be on "alert" for danger from all four sides. After that, just spend time sitting with her, talking to her, even reading to her. Is she hand tame at all do you know? You can try hand feeding her treats through the cage bars to start learning that hands are okay. And her poor wings- has the bleeding stopped? I'd watch carefully to make sure she doesn't bang her wings and start bleeding again. Does she seem to be in pain?

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Thanks for the reply. :) I took her to the vet right when I picked her up. The wing bleeding has stopped and the vet said she should be ok in that regard so long as she doesn't pick too much at them. She does seem to be preening a lot but then she was very dirty. I think they bother her (it must feel weird to have wings cut in all ways) but i don't think she has pain at this point. I have covered three sides of the cage and she seems more relaxed so I'll keep it that way for a bit. I have no info on if she is hand tame...the prior owners said that she tried to bite them a few times but they also wore mechanics gloves to grab her and yank her out so I'm not too worried about her biting. She honestly seems very sweet underneath the fear. I like the idea of reading to her, I'll do that today for a while.
Right now she seems to just enjoy exploring her toys. My lovebird is quite cage aggressive and sometimes just space aggressive and I'm thinking their intro will be far in the future lol if at all. Luckily I didn't have any other birds prior to these girls so I have plenty of room for their own large cages. I don't know if I should get my tiel a friend or not eventually...either way I'll work on her health first.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It actually sounds like she's doing amazingly well already. She's lucky to have you. :) My tiel had a rather nasty accident (he's fine) over memorial day weekend and lost a bunch of flight feathers on his one wing. He ended up pulling the remaining ones out because I think they were bothering him to much, but thankfully they are growing back in nicely. So, just something to keep an eye on.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'll start with "Welcome to AA" :greet5: and thank you for saving your little tiel and telling us a bit about her background. I took in a tiel severa lyears ago who was descrtibed to me as being "devil spawn" but the truth was she was scared stiff. She'd been dumped at a large pet store in the bathroom along with a budgie. One of the employees took the budgie home so this little tiel was scared, alone and had no clue what had happened. She (Peeps) is one of the sweetest little girls ever, has never bitten anyone and loves company.

I think you're on the right track and your little one just needs some time to settle in and realize she isn't living in her old place. Tiels are usually pretty forgiving in nature.:hug8::hug8:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA! I'm so glad you could take this little bird in, she's a real cutie! It's nice she's already playing, and I bet with time and patience she will really learn that you are her friend. Just remember to take everything slowly, and please keep us updated on her progress!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome and thank you and bless you for giving her a home! She is beautiful - from your description she sounds terrified - in time, I think she will learn to trust you. Maybe for awhile she would do better in a small cage...with her wings and feathers clipped poorly - I would be afraid that she might hurt herself more trying to fly in a larger cage. Give her lots of preening toys to keep her pre-occupied and maybe prevent her from picking on her own feathers. And, yes keep us updated - and more pics!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd also like to point out that in your photo she isn't trying desperately to get away from you by climbing up the back of her cage. She seems to be quite calmly sitting in the front of her cage, even if it is small (as you pointed out). I've seen what a really, really petrified bird looks like/acts in a cage and she isn't acting that way. I think she'll settle in very well for you though it won't happen overnight.

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I'd also like to point out that in your photo is isn't trying desperately to get away from you by climbing up the back of her cage. She seems to be quite calmly sitting in the front of her cage, even it is small (as you pointed out). I've seen what a really, really petrified bird looks like/acts in a cage and she isn't acting that way. I think she'll settle in very well for you though it won't happen overnight.
that was my first thought too.
she's really beautiful and looks like she'll be a sweetie too.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Thank you all for the replies! :) She will be a sweetie I think. She's been cuddling with her favorite toy, closing her eyes and rubbing her cheeks on it. She seems more content already. VZM.IMG_20160705_142713.jpg

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
First off Welcome to AA. I adopted a little male 4/30/16, he is 10 years old. he sat in quarantine until my cousin who is vet was able to see him. he was cage aggressive and was deathly afraid of hands, when I got him. I started feeding him treats between the bars. he would take them but throw them on floor in the beginning, now he takes gently from my fingers & eats them. he is getting use to hands being in his cage to feed and water him. cleaning the cage can still be a small problem, but he is not biting like Dracula as much any more. the one thing that I have found that helps greatly is white noise, whether it be rain, heartbeats, ocean sloshing to the shore, just air purifier humming away. he seems calmer. she is beautiful and white as snow. thank you for taking her in to loving home.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Her name is Kalen :)
She let me pet her beak a bit through the bars so I put my hand in her cage, just resting and not following her. After a minute she came over and started nibbling at my fingers. No biting, just curious nibbles. If I move my hand she gets scared, puffs up and backs away. But the fact that she came over to investigate is a good sign I think. :)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
great sign

Tommymarshall

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Hi Ya. You are doing amazing, and she's doing even better:). From mechanic gloves and whatever horror you would call her wings to even allowing your hand in the cage is pretty darn impressive to me :) Thanks for you being you:)

GoPack

Strolling the yard
Thank you for rescuing her. She's gorgeous:)
My two rescues wouldn't think of going near my hand to investigate even after a few months, so sounds like you're doing great with her and she's progressing really well!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a pretty little girl!! :) I think she'll
become your friend fairly quickly judging by how she is behaving towards you - sure as heck wouldn't be going in for finger nibbles or letting you rummage in her cage otherwise! Just stay consistent, gentle, and patient, and you will have another birdy bestie before you know it. :) Glad you've helped not one, but two birds now!

Mrs Evey

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda Evey
She is beautiful! Thank you for rescuing her! I'm glad you found this forum. As a first time tiel owner, I've asked for and received some great advice and encouragement here and I'm sure you will too! Good luck with your little lady and keep us posted on her progress!