• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Removing pin feathers

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi had a warm shower and then burrowed in a towel while I removed maybe a dozen pin feathers. Just one is left right next to her eye. She buried her head in the towel and every once in a while gave me a little warning buzz. I backed off and worked on another pin. Now for the last hour she has been furiously preening on top of her cage. I love this bird. And she loves me. :)

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Why do you have to remove pin feathers? How would I ever do that if my new little linnie never becomes hand tame?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh gosh I should clarify that I wasn't removing pin feathers. They are new feathers that are covered with a keratin sheath. I was removing the sheaths. Gigi seemed to like it and was pretty happy to preen afterwards. I'm sure other single birds are able to break down those sheaths by rubbing against something or maybe they break down in time. I was just accelerating the process.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Why do you have to remove pin feathers? How would I ever do that if my new little linnie never becomes hand tame?
You do not need to. Moisture can help with the keratin sheaths if you he/she allows.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Whew! Thank goodness! I was really worried there for a bit. I sure hope my linnie gets use to me but there is always that possibility that he never does want me getting too close.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Baths are great for helping with pin feathers. Both of my babies look like pin heads right now lol so lots of baths for them.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
My new Linnie has a bunch if white things on his head. Are these what u r referring to as pin feathers?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes! That's the keratin sheath surrounding his new feathers coming in. You see them around the head because they are difficult for him to reach. He has preened off the others on his body by himself.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Yes! That's the keratin sheath surrounding his new feathers coming in. You see them around the head because they are difficult for him to reach. He has preened off the others on his body by himself.
Thanks! What can I buy for inside his cage to help him get rid of the sheaths on his head that he can't get to?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks! What can I buy for inside his cage to help him get rid of the sheaths on his head that he can't get to?
Hmm, I do see Gigi rubbing her head against her rope boing. I guess any toy or perch could help him. And as someone else said, a spray bath will help.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Hmm, I do see Gigi rubbing her head against her rope boing. I guess any toy or perch could help him. And as someone else said, a spray bath will help.
Okay thanks Dona, I put a rope boing in his new cage that hopefully he will be moving to later today.