• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Removing baby from brooder/offering solid food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin1979

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Erin
Hi,
I've been hand-feeding two baby parrotlets for a couple weeks now. The parents were having issues and the mother had become ill (now recovered). The oldest is 22 days, the youngest is 17 days old. The oldest one, which I've named Lucky is almost completely feathered, very active and already causing mischief. Her crop is starting to shrink though and she is not consuming as much formula as she once was, she seems to get fuller faster, or just not as hungry. I've moved her feedings to every 5 hours from 4, which seems to help, but she seems to want to do other things, besides eat.
By the way, I am spoon-feeding. This is my first experience hand-feeding and I felt that it was the safest method and something I was more comfortable with.

My main questions are, when can I remove her from the brooder and when can I start offering her some soft solids on top of formula?
She wants to chew on everything and anything. I've even caught her picking at her poop, even though she had a full crop.
I talk to my vet on a regular basis, but I would like to hear from people who have actually done this.
Some websites claim not to remove them from their brooders and offering foods other than formula until they are 6 weeks of age. Others say you can once they are feathered. It's a bit confusing and the last thing I want to do is mess up. 3 weeks feels too soon, but I am new to this.

The youngest baby is a little piglet still. I wasn't sure if he was even going to make it. When I found him in the nest box, he was in the corner and cold to the touch. His skin was peeling and he just looked off. I rushed him to the vet and the vet fed him with a gavage. He has since perked up and loves his food. He still has issues, but is coming along great now.

I'll post some photos soon.

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Picture of the oldest. Sorry about the bad quality, was taken with my camcoder

featherbabies

Real Name
Barbara
When they start picking at bedding and poop, I go ahead and start offering soaked pellets, millet, and soft veggies. Very cute! Good luck!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I would start mashing up veggies and feeding that to them...making sure you are keeping it the right tempt and doing at least one feeding a day with this....as for the brooder...they have feathers on them...what is your brooder temp and shouldn't they be coming out of it now to a another area?

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
super cute baby!! Sounds like you have been doing a very good job :) That baby definitely looks old enough to be exploring solid foods but still needing some handfeeding. Soaked pellets are great (easy for them to eat) as well as regular veggies (corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, banana, apple, etc). That little cutie looks like he's feathering in nicely and probably still needs some supplemental heat but should be tapering down some. What kind of brooder do you have? A baby cage would be the next step, low perches and still some heat possibly. As they get close to being feathered in they seem to get more obsessed with flapping and preparing for their first flight than wanting to be handfed. Small feeds, offering weaning food and just allowing them to figure it out (monitoring their weight) works well. Just wait till they start to fly, that was always my favorite part of handfeeding. I never have raised a p'let though. Have fun and enjoy every second of it!:)

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Currently I have two brooders, one for each baby. I bought aquariums with screens and avian heat lamps. I would have had them together, but the oldest kept attacking the youngest, even though they are only 5 days apart. I keep the oldest's brooder at around 85, but at times drops down to 80. The youngest baby is at around 85-90, no feathers yet, he is a bit delayed.
I tried the heating pad thing, but most if not all are all auto shut off now.
Humidity is about 60%.

I bought them each large cages for when they are ready, but at first, I was thinking about using these:

I have some Roudybush pellets and Cockatiel seed. I'll try some millet and fine chopped fruits/veggies today and see if she'll nibble.

I think the reason that I am was so worried about offering solids at 3 weeks, is because of the horrible pictures I have seen online of baby birds that were so impacted with seed. Some of these websites really try to scare you.
I thought the hardest part would be hand-feeding, but so far it's been the easiet part. It's the weaning and everything else that I am struggling with.

The oldest baby is constantly flapping, looks like she is going to take off any day. She is moving much faster than I ever expected.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Don't decrease the amount of feedings. Also what is the consistency of formula your feeding to the younger one?

Pumpkin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tracy
Hi Erin, I am handfeeding some right now. Sounds like you got good advice. I keep mine under 10 days around 90 degrees, over around 85 and I slowly, once they get more feathers, I start to decrese the heat. Millet is a great food to pick at for starters. Good luck, feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more about it. :)

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
The younger one is eating formula that is about the consistency of tomato soup, the older one is slightly thicker, but not by much.
I try to think of it as as if I were feeding with a syringe and what would easily suck up into one. Too thin made the crop empty faster, too thick made it a bit slower.
It's tricky. I've watched a lot of hand-feeding videos and I have seen some people make it the consistency of chunky peanut butter and others made it look like brown water that was maybe just slightly flavored with formula.

Here is one of my old feeding videos of the oldest at 2 weeks old

Ignore the music.. It was very low, but my camcorder really makes it seem louder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I suggest for that age make the formula more like applesauce. Tomatoe soup consistency is too thin for growing babies. Feed as often they are hungry and until full. Jmho.:)

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Well it's probably more like applesauce. Hard to compare it really. I'll have to try to make another video or something to show how thick it is. It's got a good texture to it.

The vet believes that the youngest baby is slightly delayed because of how I found him in the nest box, the parents were not caring for him as well. He was cold, peeling, crop was completely bone dry empty, in the corner and slow to start moving around on his own. He is just now starting to stand up and walk around and growing his pins. Good weight and already has an attitude like his sister.
I'll have to take some recent pictures of him. They change everyday and the ones from the day before or even yesterday are different from how he is today. It's crazy how fast they grow.
I had 8 birds before these two hatched, now 10. This is the first time I have ever experienced a bird younger than 2 years old. My others are either rehomes or rescues.

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Don't decrease the amount of feedings. Also what is the consistency of formula your feeding to the younger one?
Do you mean bring her back to every 4 hours? She eats well at 5, but not well at 4.
Everything I had ever read said to slowly start to spread out the feedings a bit as they get older, and right before actually weaning, to feed formula once or twice a day, until they refuse it.

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
This is a little chart that I have been looking at, not exactly following it as it's for Cockatiels and not parrotlets. There is not a lot of information out there about parrotlets for some reason.

Handfeeding Step-By-Step

I swear my adult parrotlets eat more than any of my other birds. While they were nesting, I never saw the mother come out of her box, the father was eating like a horse to try to provide for them all.
She had lost a lot of weight, plucked her entire body except for her head and wings and at times, had no energy to even move. They all stayed an entire weekend at an animal hospital until I took the oldest baby to hand-feed. The youngest stayed with them until he was 11 days old and I had saw that they were no longer caring for him. I was never sure about hand-feeding and was leaning more towards co-parenting. They had 4 eggs, one never hatched and one died right away. Found it dead, cold and a dark purple/red in the corner.

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Well I tried to show her a tiny piece of apple, she screamed and attacked it. :)

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Ok, so here is a video of her refusing her 4 hour feeding. She did eat a tiny bit before this, but was more interested in other things.

She is 3 weeks and 2 days old. When she is hungry, especially in the morning, she is a little pig.

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Youngest baby, blue male it appears

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
cute babies:) Loved the handfeeding vid, she looks like a great little eater even if she isnt taking as much.I found when weaning, they ate their solid foods best after a partial feeding. Taking the edge off their hunger (especially in the morning) seemed to get them more interested in trying out real foods.

The youngest is just absolutely precious!!

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
The oldest has been nibbling on some millet and soaked Roudybush since last night, but ate great for me at 7am and noon today.
I was reading something awhile back that states that some spoon fed babies will try to wean faster, I don't know how true that is yet.
I'll be moving her out of the brooder probably this weekend, she'll be 4 weeks on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.