• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Remind me No more DIY Projects!! (Delilah's new cage set up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Arghhhhhh! Just spent the last 2 hours redoing Delilah's cage without the plastic ledges.

I decided because I wanted to get the plastic out asap and I am broke that I would go to Home Depot for the pine and have them cut it in pieces for me. So for 7 ledges I paid $7.54.
I could not find the Hanger bolts or wing nuts cheap so instead I decided to just use wood screws with the washers. Another $8 on hardware. so $15 for 4 ledges. (I only used 4 in the cage)
The price was right but I am NOT handy at all!!

The first ledge I tried to attach I totally stripped to screws and could not get them back out. I finally figured out I needed to predrill the holes for the screws. But the top ledge is too high and I can't move it now, it is there forever!
I finally got the other ledges attached but not sure if the placement is ok for her, any opinions?

This was not fun!

End result is after she chews these up I think I am just going to buy the next ones from Danita which is what I originally wanted to do, hers are prettier anyways!

I still have to get her a new wheel, but at $50 I have to wait. She does not chew her wheel that I have seen.
I also have a fleece set coming consisting of a fleece liner, hut, hammock and fleece covered PVC tube.

Here is her cage before the day she came to me:
fids_P5210123-1.jpg

After tonights DIY Fiasco (Apparently Delilah thinks she's a monkey!):
fids_P5280140.jpg

fids_P5280144.jpg

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That looks really nice. Does she have a play area where she gets to come out to?

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
That looks really nice. Does she have a play area where she gets to come out to?
Yes, I chin proofed my bedroom, it has linoleum flooring so it is perfect for her to run around. She gets out for a couple hours a night.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
It looks wonderful!!! Oh she's going to be so happy with those new shelves. :)

I love her pink lava ledge!!

My fiance just walked by and said "oh, she's so cute!" :heart:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Pretty soon she'll have that lava ledge chewed down to nothing!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
It looks wonderful!!! Oh she's going to be so happy with those new shelves. :)

I love her pink lava ledge!!

My fiance just walked by and said "oh, she's so cute!" :heart:
Thanks! You think there is enough shelves? Not sure I could fit more in though, I hope she gets used to the set up, she seems a little nervous.

Do you have a wood house in your cage? I took out her plastic igloo but have a fleece hut and tunnel coming for her, is that good enough for hiding?

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I think it looks just lovely! :) You did a far better job then I could have done!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Pretty soon she'll have that lava ledge chewed down to nothing!
Guess I need to order more! Should I put more than one lava ledge in the cage? I have no idea what I am doing with a chinchilla cage!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy

Thanks! You think there is enough shelves? Not sure I could fit more in though, I hope she gets used to the set up, she seems a little nervous.

Do you have a wood house in your cage? I took out her plastic igloo but have a fleece hut and tunnel coming for her, is that good enough for hiding?
I do have a wooden house in my chin's cage, but he just turns it over and sits in it like a cup. Lol I don't think it's really necessary as he sleeps in his fleece cube, but he chews a bit on it so I leave it in there. If she doesn't sleep in her igloo, I wouldn't worry about replacing it.

Definitely enough shelves! My cage is about 6 ft tall and I have 5 shelves, 4 leading upwards. I also have some manzanita branches in there - which are Boog's favorite places to sit, by far.

Guess I need to order more! Should I put more than one lava ledge in the cage? I have no idea what I am doing with a chinchilla cage!

Oh, yes, one is fine! Unless you want more. You could put one a few inches above a shelf so she can sit on the shelf and just chew on the lava ledge. She'll use it as a perch too! But it will be nice and easy for her to chew on that way.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Kacy! Now all I need is a new wheel for her! I want the Chin Surfer but it is $50! However it is less than the Chin Spin, just need the money!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Thanks Kacy! Now all I need is a new wheel for her! I want the Chin Surfer but it is $50! However it is less than the Chin Spin, just need the money!
I haven't seen that wheel - I'll have to check it out!!!

Does she look forward to your nightly play sessions?? Cramming her little nose between the bars saying "let me out!" :D

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It looks great, lucky Delilah!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran

I haven't seen that wheel - I'll have to check it out!!!

Does she look forward to your nightly play sessions?? Cramming her little nose between the bars saying "let me out!" :D
Yes she does! She loves to come out, everytime I do in the room she runs up to the bars of the cage for scritches! She is just so cute! I love her so much!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You did a great job!

Matt

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
well she seems to settling in nicely with her new cage set up. I was worried for awhile as she had the same exact cage with the plastic shelves for 3 years.
But I think she likes her new ledges :D

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
It looks great, Crystal! Did I tell you my "grandson" is a Chin?

Status
Not open for further replies.