• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BourkesKid

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Moss
IMG_5875.jpeg Last Sunday my Bourkie who I have had for almost 5 years died. It was not a good death either. Being a ground forager, he was constantly underfoot and following me around when I walked around my room. died. It was not a good death either. Being a ground forager, he was constantly underfoot and following me around when I walked around my room. I had almost stepped on him a couple of times before, but it finally happened. We rushed him to the vet, and they said he was going to be fine, they could suture the wound, and none of his bones were broken. They gave him pain medicine and antibiotics. We were told he was going to be fine and I went about my day trying not to be worried about him. That night, we got a call saying he had died. For years, I had had nightmares about him dying. it was so much worse than I could’ve ever imagined because it was distinctly my fault. Sure, it wasn’t intentional, but I took the action that directly resulted in his death.
Anyway, I just buried him under the sapling of a native tree that I had purchased. Not in a box or anything. I figured it would be better that he went back to the Earth. Personally, I don’t believe in heaven. I am not looking to debate that here. What other things can I do to remember/memorialize/honor him?

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm so very sorry. It is beyond aweful when we are the ones , even though it is accident..

I myself, just had this most awful accident happen with my sweetest Penny. I don't allow my birds on the floor , so it's a rare thing for them to land on the floor. But Penny was older , had not been flighted before me , became flighted with me. But wasn't the best flyer and occasionally she would land on the floor and I would walk over and pick her up and move her back to a perch. This time I was unaware,.... she only survived moments ..it's still to much to think about and hurts ..

I'm just sharing because you aren't alone.

I think paying it forward helps. Sharing here the honest story, impressing others the risk . It might help save some else's baby. Have someone else discourage floor birds. Having us share this tragedy.

He was very beautiful. These are wonderful pictures. You can share your happier times and stories with us about his life.

I try to just love everyone more .

When I lost my first green cheek, part of my reason to join and be active in a forum was to help sick birds in her name. Tho I hadn't shared that here before. Her name was Burt the Bird , she was such a sweetheart green cheek. She had chronic sinus issues, I had
experience in caring for sick ones , so she
lived a full life of 17 years. Tho I didn't act fast enough with her last infection. So I
considered it acts of service to her , to help
others.

Then I fell in love with being part of community thst loves parrots , and learn and have fun being surrounded by other with the same passion

Last edited:

BourkesKid

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Moss
I really appreciate you sharing your story. I am a writer and an artist, so I am planning to write poetry, or maybe a song about him, and draw him at some point.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful bird.