• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reluctant to leave cage

yellowfeathers

Meeting neighbors
I have been having trouble bringing my budgie out of its cage. I have been trying for a couple of weeks now but he doesn't seem to like it. I have been starting small by putting toys on top of his cage and bringing him to them on my finger. He plays up there for a few minutes and then comes back down. I also start to bring him over to his playground but we never get there. I take him back to his cage just before he flies off my finger. I am wondering if I am doing this right. If anyone has any genius ideas about how to bring him out, I would love to hear them.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No genius ideas, just a quaker who hates hands. I just leave his cage door open as often as possible (10-12 hours here usually unless we are out) and let him come out on his own. I put a treat cup and perch on his door so he can at least be mostly out, and then offer lots of perching opportunities outside of the cage to encourage movement.

It took Bobber several months to come out.

yellowfeathers

Meeting neighbors
Ok. I have treats just outside his cage now. He keeps eying them up and shuffling around like he does when he is indicive so hopefully he will come out. Should I stop bringing him out on my finger in case he stops trusting me?

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I leave the cage open/two doors when I am home for Babe and Daisy they still do not come out on there own. Daisy is almost a year and Babe is around 4 months with me. I have to make them come out, then they are happy to be out. They never had the option to be out and be free before so I make it happen for them. Hoping one day they will come out on there own.:)