• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Relentless ear and lip nibbling

Parisandvas

Checking out the neighborhood
My senegal zeus is relentless. Its non stop nibbling of the ear and lips with some tongue action. Its driving me crazy. Can somebody tell me what i can do to stop this. My other senegal does not do this.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Revoke his shoulder privileges.

Parisandvas

Checking out the neighborhood
Its hard to revoke
him off my shoulders because i try to get him off and 10 seconds later hes back on, and this could go on all night. I dont like to keep him in the cage all the time either

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Wear a big scary hat or a hoodie until he gets the idea. A bird can only bite you if you let them. And you're letting him. It is that simple.

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
To me that is easy to revoke the shoulder I shake Ella is off. You have to keep it up shake, wiggle wildly whatever. I did and she finally got the drift that Mommy was a bit upset when she was on my shoulder. Ella lost shoulder privilege because she pinch my lip didn't break skin, but that was enough to say not happening. You have to earn to be back on my shoulder if that even happens in the future. o_O

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If you still want him on your shoulder but not nibbling, you have to stop him from the behaviors you do not like. EVERY TIME he starts the behavior, you stop him and give him something else to do. If that means dealing with the behavior 50 times a night, that is what you do. Persistent behavior modification means a well behaved bird.

Sunny Senegal likes to nibble my teeth. All I have to do is close my lips firmly and tell her NO, and she stops the behavior. I admit I do sometimes give her good from my lips, especially if I am introducing a new food. No saliva with the bite of food, however.

Last edited:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like he's only getting bored and attempting to groom you.
A playgym or other fun out-of-cage area will do wonders. You can also try making a 'birdie necklace' with some bird-safe wooden beads and rope to help distract him when he's on your shoulder. Try to resist laughing, scolding him, ect. when he's nibbling as he probably is enjoying the attention. Instead, praise him for the good things he does - playing with his toys, talking, doing something cute - so he knows a good way to get your attention.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You can also try making a 'birdie necklace' with some bird-safe wooden beads and rope to help distract him when he's on your shoulder.
Scotty would probably love playing with a birdy necklace instead of nipping at our earlobes. Wonder how long we could wear one with bells on it -he LOVES bells. lol Great idea @karen256

RandyMiller

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Randy Miller
Pat loves to nibble my fingers. Sometimes it gets irritating but I guess it his way of showing love!