• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehomed Conure

PattiD

Moving in
Real Name
Patricia Diaz
I just took in a 3 year old Green Cheeked Conure.
Owner passed away. How long should I wait to try to take him out of his cage? He is starting to let me pet him. He doesn't bite me and calls me when he wants attention. Should I leave the cage door open? Is it ok to have a lot of toys in the cage?
Not sure how to get him feeling safe. Thanks

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hi!
Greenies are absolutely wonderful.
Is this your first parrot?

Typically it varies bird to bird depending on a few factors: Did the pervious owner handle him? How tame is he? Does he know you before this?

As a rule of thumb id say to wait at least a week to let him settle in before offering him to come out, but some birds will be ok coming out sooner.

The cage door can be left open as long ad he’s supervised and the room is bird safe, this means if he wants to come out, he can. I reccomend putting perches outside the cage to help him feel comfy leaving the cage without having to directly interact with you.
To create a positive bond right off the bat, whenever you walk past the cage, give him a little treat (sunflower seed, small piece of fruit, millet etc).

If you wanted to; you can post a photo of the cage for us to give some feedback on :).

And don’t feel discouraged if your bond seems to regress at certain points! It’s a big change for such a tiny creature, keep this rule in mind:
1707993596560.jpeg