• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitating on own wing?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Buzz (12 yr old miligold) came to live with us last Saturday and we noticed a small bare patch on the shoulder/wrist of his left wing. There is no down and there are several pin feathers coming through. He beaks at that area and I assumed it must itch with the new feathers, but then Friday night, I noticed that he had something on his beak and that the area looked wet! :wideyed: I was worried that it might be pus, so we lured his head to the right so we could get a better look. We managed to take some pictures, but it was hard to get a clear shot because he was moving. These are the clearest ones:
B wing 1.jpg B wing 2.jpg B wing 3.jpg

We have been hands off until he is more comfortable in his new home, so we have no way of getting him to his shower stand yet, so we gave his a heavy misting (which he fluffed up and loved! :joyful:) The area stayed clean and dry all day (no signs of 'pus') until last night. Then there was so much goo that he was cleaning off of his wing! :scared3: It slowly dawned on me that, because there was so much where there hadn't been any an hour before, it was possible he had regurgitated on his own wing and was cleaning it off again? Since he was very close to the front bars of his cage I leaned in to smell. It did not smell like anything infected; it had nearly no scent at all, even so close. Maybe a little off-smelling but very faint and nothing off-putting.

I've tried reading on regurgitating behavior, but everything I've found says that a bird will either do this for another bird (baby or mate) or sometimes just into their mouths and then re-eat it, but I haven't found an instance where any parrot has gotten any on themselves, let alone intentionally. If he is doing this, could he be self-soothing to relieve the stress of going to a new home or missing his mom/owner? Or could he be doing it on the area with the itchy pin feathers to help soften them?

I think either way, a proper shower each day would do him some good and help keep the area clean, but I don't know how to get him safely (for both of us) from his cage to the shower perch (or shallow tub if he'd prefer?). We will be taking him to the vet this Tuesday for a checkup anyway and we'll ask them to look at his wing, too, but that worries me that I will have to medicate/collar/apply medicine to a bird that we are not able to handle yet. (Again, we are going at his pace. No worries about getting him into his carrier, at least. I asked his owner how she got him into his carrier if she hadn't handled him in a year and she said, "Oh, he did it himself." :laugh:)

We are trying to keep his beak busy with tons of wood (which he faithfully mulches for us ;)), foraging toys, and lots of healthy foods (fruits, nuts, veggies and birdie bread), we talk to him almost every time we pass his cage (not every time so he isn't overwhelmed), and we mist him daily. I worry that it's not enough, or that it's all too much if his last owner wasn't able to spend much time with him this past year as she'd said. (He only had 2 small toys and 1 perch in his cage! Now he has 4 perches and a boing, toys of all kinds hanging in and out of his cage and a full spectrum bulb over 1 side of his cage.)

Any direction from the seasoned macaw owners on here will be very much appreciated.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He is! :shocked3: I just saw him do it. Buzz is regurgitating on his own wing. But why? :what:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
I wish I knew the proper answer for you. Our Military does the same thing. We assume it is a mating ritual, but he has no mate to share it with. He does sometimes try and share it with my wife.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you, Skipper. :hug8: I am so grateful to hear of another bird who does it, too. Makes it more "normal"? Like maybe it'll subside between bouts of hormones. The white over his eye is slightly pink, but I don't think it's the full on blush color I've heard about. Since he's only been with us a week, maybe it's almost over. :)

Skipper, how do you and your wife do when he does it, or how do you handle it? Is regular bathing enough? Have you found anything that helps reduce the frequency? Buzz does it 2-3 times a day from what I've seen. :unsure1:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If he is doing this, could he be self-soothing to relieve the stress of going to a new home or missing his mom/owner?
I think you nailed it there. This is a very typical sounding coping mechanism. The neck/shoulder/top of the wing are very common spots. There's 12 years of baggage behind it so it's not new.

The situation right now is not any more stressful than his old life given the shape he's in. It's just different. In his case I would think "different" is at least somewhat interesting. As long as everything is positive he will come around sooner than later.

I'm glad he's going to the vet because that's what he needs right now. Everything is new so one added event right now isn't gone to change much. You need a baseline health so you know which way to go. I've never seen white goo come out of a wing.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Well, we weren't able to coax Buzz into his crate Tuesday so we had to reschedule his vet visit for Friday. We have the crate open in front of his cage for him to explore so he will hopefully get acclimated to it, but so far he hasn't gone in it. Not even for the two almonds we put in there! o_O

His last owner said he put himself in the crate when she brought him to us, but he doesn't like the crate right side up. His last owner stood it up on its rear with to door at the top and then just put the tray under it in the car to catch any droppings. I can't take him to the vet this way for 2 reasons: 1) the bottom of the crate faces the front that way and it has 6 large "openings" that he can easily fit through if he chose to; it is not meant to keep anything inside, only to keep the tray from falling out. And 2) the handles is on the top (would be back that way) and I don't want to carry an anxious macaw with my fingers in the crate! So we set the crate horizontally the way it was meant to be, added a perch and put a towel on the bottom. *sigh* Here's to hoping. :fingerscrossed:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
On a happier note, tonight I think I saw Buzz regurgitate on one of the toys hanging in his cage. When I went to inspect later, it was clean, but I thought I detected a slight trace of what might be that in the corners.... :bliss: Is it sad that I'm that excited over the possibility of our bird sharing his lunch with a toy? :wacky: I don't care, as long as it replaces his wing as his surrogate mate! Heck, I'll even name it and talk to the darned thing if it helps!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A 5 second grab with the towel and into the crate if done with the element of surprise is almost a non event. It's over and they're in the crate before they even know what happened. Seriously.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
UPDATE: Buzz is getting more familiar with us & even steps up on my arm regularly. :dancing: He beaks my fingers and only lets me scritch his head when they are in his mouth, but he is gentle. With our increasing contact and familiarity with him, he has completely stopped regurgitating on his wing and the feathers are starting to grow back in that area. :cheer: He does still regurgitate on his toy, which I switch out for a decoy while I run his "girlfriend" through the dishwasher, but I hope with further interaction he will need to do that less and less. He is just now getting to where I can ask him to step off of my arm onto places other than his cage, but that is slow for now. My aim is to get him to go into his carrier so we can finally get to the vet for a checkup. :fingerscrossed: Hopefully this week or next.

@JLcribber I looked up YouTube videos on how to towel a bird after your suggestion & found YOUR video o_O (Ep06) saying the bird can start to hate the person doing the toweling so you let Dr. Gordy do it instead! :naughty: Shame on you! :p

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sometimes you have to be the bad guy in order to do the right things.

Throw a giant blanket over the top of him and stick him in the carrier. He won't think about it again once it's over. Fast and done.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If I can't get him into the carrier willingly, I may have to, but I don't want him to stop trusting me. I would like all trips to be something he looks forward to. And if going to the vet can become a positive experience too (a few practice trips to say "hi" and get treats from the staff like we did for our dog) then that would make the next 50-60+ years easier!

I do know a checkup is very important & next time (...if there is a next time [of course there'll be a next time]) we will plan an appointment on our way home from the adoption. That seems like the most sensible approach, by far! Buzz just seemed to like his carrier so much & I had to get to work. :facepalm: So much to be said about poor planning.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I came back to this thread to post a pic we took of Buzzard last night. He is still regurgitating on his toys, but only the red ones? He has 4 Kongs that we rotate out daily, keeping 1 in his cage & 1 on his stand. As long as he has access to one of those, he leaves his poor wing alone. One time I forgot to replace the one I took out of his cage & he relapsed.:( But last night he was on his playstand & it's the first time I've seen him putting the moves on one of his "girlfriend" toys. :cool: Smooth, no?
0419171848b.jpg

@Macawnutz This pic made me think of Sakie sitting on her Jolly Ball "egg". :xflove:

Oh, and I think I posted it somewhere else, but we finally got him to the vet & doc says he's healthy. :)

Last edited: