• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Regarding Baytril...

loveadove

Moving in
Real Name
Anonymiss
I looked this up online and the dosage my vet recommended to my dove kinda worries me...

I have to give him 0.15 mL TWICE a day orally. She thinks he has ataxia because he’s been off balance and flipping over when he walks. I noticed he got wobbly on the night of Friday, so yesterday, on Saturday, I took him to the vet and they gave me that medicine.

Should I just give it to him once a day or twice a day as my vet suggested?
I just don’t want to feel like I’m overdosing my dove with this medication...the stories online don’t seem good...

He’s about 187 grams in weight.

Should I just give it to him once a day or twice a day as my vet suggested? I just don’t want to feel like I’m overdosing my dove with this medication.

loveadove

Moving in
Real Name
Anonymiss
Also, I have to give him doxycycline once a day and metacam every other day...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Metacam is an NSAID pain reliever and anti-inflammatory - it is important you keep this medication up. Baytril and Doxycycline are both broad spectrum anti-biotics and both are commonly given to avians for infections. The Baytril (enrofloxicin) is at a dosage of .225gm x 2. It seems fine to me, but I'm not a vet. You should call your vet and check up on the dosage - there is no shame in doing that.

Always do as your vet instructs you to do and never hesitate to ask him if you aren't sure.

loveadove

Moving in
Real Name
Anonymiss
Ok thank you for letting me know! I just read some bad stories about so I was worried.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Extended use of enrofloxicin - over the period of weeks or months - can cause deterioration of tissue.